Ex-Hong Kong official found guilty of U.S. corruption charges




  • In US
  • 2018-12-05 20:05:49Z
  • By By Brendan Pierson

By Brendan Pierson

(Reuters) - A former Hong Kong government official was found guilty on Wednesday of U.S. charges that he took part in a scheme to bribe officials in Chad and Uganda in exchange for contracts for a Chinese energy company, according to a spokesman for federal prosecutors.

Chi Ping Patrick Ho, 69, was convicted of seven of the eight counts against by a jury in federal court in Manhattan after a trial lasting just over a week.

Edward Kim, a lawyer for Ho, declined to comment.

Ho, a former Hong Kong home affairs secretary, was arrested in November 2017 on charges of violating U.S. foreign corruption law, money laundering and conspiracy. Federal prosecutors said he arranged bribes on behalf of a Chinese energy company that funds an organization he leads.

At the time of his arrest, Ho was secretary-general of the Hong Kong-based China Energy Fund Committee, an organization funded by the Shanghai-based energy conglomerate CEFC China Energy.

Prosecutors said Ho caused the energy company to offer a $2 million bribe to the president of Chad, Idriss Deby, in 2015 in exchange for exclusive oil rights in that country.

The government of Chad has denied the U.S. charges.

Prosecutors also said that Ho caused $500,000 to be wired to Uganda's foreign minister in 2016, with the promise of further payments in the future, to secure favors for the Chinese company, including the potential acquisition of a Ugandan bank.

Sam Kutesa, who previously served as president of the U.N. General Assembly, has been Uganda's foreign minister since 2015. Uganda has denied the allegations.


(Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

COMMENTS

More Related News

US orders new troops to Middle East to counter Iran
US orders new troops to Middle East to counter Iran 'threat'

The United States said it was deploying 1,500 additional troops to the Middle East to counter "credible threats" from Iran in a move denounced by Tehran on Saturday as "a threat to international peace". "Increased US presence in our region is very dangerous and a threat to international peace and security and must be confronted," Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told the official IRNA news agency. The escalation of the US military presence follows a decision in early May to send an aircraft carrier strike force and B-52 bombers in a show of force against what Washington's leaders believed was an imminent Iranian plan to attack US assets.

U.S. Beer Industry Blames Trump Tariffs for 40,000 Job Losses
U.S. Beer Industry Blames Trump Tariffs for 40,000 Job Losses

A report by two trade groups showed U.S. beer-industry jobs dropped 40,000 since 2016 as metal tariffs boosted aluminum-can costs, leading to a drop in investment. The biennial study by the Beer Institute and National Beer Wholesalers Association said direct, indirect and induced jobs fell to 2.19 million

Iran says it will not surrender even if it is bombed
Iran says it will not surrender even if it is bombed
  • World
  • 2019-05-23 17:52:42Z

GENEVA/LONDON (Reuters) - Iran will not surrender to U.S. pressure and will not abandon its goals even if it is bombed, President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday, stepping up the war of words between the Islamic Republic and the United States. Earlier in the day, Iran's top military chief said the

Bank CEO charged in Manafort bribery scheme to get Trump administration post
Bank CEO charged in Manafort bribery scheme to get Trump administration post
  • US
  • 2019-05-23 16:20:40Z

Stephen Calk, who was chairman and CEO of Federal Savings Bank though is now on a leave of absence, was charged by federal prosecutors in New York with one count of financial institution bribery, which carries a maximum prison term of 30 years. Calk's name repeatedly came up during Manafort's 2018 financial fraud trial in Virginia, with prosecutors saying he approved $16 million in loans for Manafort in exchange for help securing a senior federal post under Trump.

China says lodged solemn representations with U.S. over Huawei
China says lodged solemn representations with U.S. over Huawei

China said on Thursday it had lodged solemn representations with the United States after it escalated a trade war between the two countries by placing Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei Technologies Co Ltd on a blacklist for U.S. suppliers. No further trade talks between top Chinese and U.S. negotiators

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.