Esper: US could alter military drills to boost NKorea talks




  • In World
  • 2019-11-13 19:21:56Z
  • By Associated Press
US Asia
US Asia  

JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. (AP) - Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday that he is open to the possibility of altering American military activities in South Korea if it would help advance a diplomatic deal with North Korea to eliminate its nuclear program.

In an interview with reporters flying with him to Seoul, Esper said any changes in military exercises or training would be done in ways that did not jeopardize troops' combat preparedness. And he said they would be done in consultation with the South Korean government.

He would not say what specific adjustments might be contemplated. The U.S. and South Korea already scaled back their 2018 and 2019 military exercises in the hope that it would help move North Korea toward agreement to give up its nuclear weapons. So far that has not worked.

"We will adjust our exercise posture, either more or less, depending on what diplomacy may require," Esper said, adding, "We have to be open to all those things that empower and enable our diplomats" in the nuclear talks.

North Korea has long objected strongly to large-scale American and South Korean military exercises, which it calls preparations for an invasion of the North. President Donald Trump also has criticized the exercises as too costly and provocative, but U.S. military commanders consider them crucial to deterring North Korea and ensuring that any invasion by the North would fail.

"As we consider adjusting - either dialing up or dialing down - exercises, training, stuff like that, we want to do that in close collaboration with our (South) Korean partners, not as a concession to North Korea but, again, as a means to keep the door open to diplomacy," he said.

Esper said he takes seriously North Korea's statement that the end of this year is a deadline for the U.S. to change its approach to the nuclear negotiations.

He said he is hopeful that diplomacy will prevail, given the history of tensions on the Korean Peninsula since the North Koreans began launching intercontinental-range ballistic missiles that could eventually be nuclear-armed.

Esper recalled his concern about the prospects for war on the peninsula when he became Army secretary in 2017.

"We were on the path to war," he said. "It was very clear to me because the Army was making preparations." He did not elaborate.

The U.S. has about 28,000 troops in South Korea, and Esper said they must be ready to fight the North at a moment's notice.

Esper also said that during his talks in Seoul this week with his South Korean counterpart, he will express U.S. concern about Seoul's stated plan to withdraw from an intelligence-sharing pact with Japan. Esper said the dispute between Tokyo and Seoul is only helping North Korea and China.

COMMENTS

More Related News

North Korea just called Trump an old imbecile in the latest sign the country is back on a warpath
North Korea just called Trump an old imbecile in the latest sign the country is back on a warpath

Kim Jong Un first used the insult "dotard" - referring to someone who's senile and losing it - in 2017, when Trump called him "Little Rocket Man."

North Korea threatens to resume calling Trump
North Korea threatens to resume calling Trump 'dotard'
  • World
  • 2019-12-05 13:37:19Z

Choe Son Hui, the first vice foreign minister, issued the warning via state media days after Trump spoke of possible military action toward the North and revived his "rocket man" nickname for North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un. The comments came as prospects dim for a resumption of nuclear diplomacy between the two countries.

N.Korea warns Trump it will use
N.Korea warns Trump it will use 'corresponding' force if attacked
  • World
  • 2019-12-04 16:49:29Z

North Korea on Wednesday warned that if the United States used military force against Pyongyang it would take "prompt corresponding actions at any level", in response to comments by US President Donald Trump. Denuclearisation negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington have been deadlocked since a summit in Hanoi broke up in February, and the renewed threats come as a deadline set by Pyongyang for fresh concessions approaches. Trump on Tuesday indicated that military action was still possible when he was asked about North Korea on the sidelines of a NATO summit in Britain on Tuesday.

Half-North Korean, half-Chinese kids struggle in South Korea
Half-North Korean, half-Chinese kids struggle in South Korea
  • World
  • 2019-12-04 02:32:09Z

Song's mother fled North Korea in the late 1990s in search of food and work in China, like tens of thousands of other North Korean women did to avoid a famine at home. Many women ended up being sold to poor Chinese farmers as brides, before fleeing again and moving to South Korea, which considers the North part of its territory and therefore embraces North Korean refugees.

North Korea says it has an unpleasant "Christmas gift" for Trump
North Korea says it has an unpleasant "Christmas gift" for Trump

Let's hope he includes the receipt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World