Embattled Wenger gets thumbs up from Farah




  • In World
  • 2017-02-16 20:45:23Z
  • By AFP
Arsenal
Arsenal's French headcoach Arsene Wenger has been pilloried in the press and by frustrated fans following 5-1 hammering by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last 16 first le  

London (AFP) - Beleaguered Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger received some welcome support on Thursday from British athletics legend and Arsenal fan Mo Farah.

Wenger has been pilloried in the press and by frustrated fans following Wednesday's 5-1 hammering by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last 16 first leg.

With the 67-year-old Frenchman's contract due to run out at the end of the season many are saying it is time for the club to begin a new chapter after 20 years in charge which has brought amongst other trophies three league titles but none since 2004.

However, Farah told Thursday's ITV News he believed Wenger deserved to be given a new contract.

"I'd like to see him at the top and see what he can do, get in a few key players," said Farah.

"I love Arsenal. I love what he does. As an athlete like myself one race doesn't change you as you, but it changes a result.

"Same thing in matches. A match like that, can affect immediately. But in the long term, if you look back at what he does for the club, he does an amazing job."

Farah, quadruple Olympic gold medalist having achieved the 5000/10000m double in 2012 and 2016, hit the headlines last month when he denounced US President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily barring entry to people from seven Muslim majority countries, including Somalia where the runner was born.

Farah, whose journey from war-torn Somalia as a child took in Djibouti before arriving in England aged eight, labelled it a policy of "ignorance and prejudice that could keep him apart from his family (he and his family are based in Oregon where he trains)."

The order was modified afterwards which would allow dual nationals and British citizens to freely gain entry to the USA although the whole issue is in limbo now as a US federal appeals court upheld the federal court's ruling issuing a temporary restraining order on Trump's measure.

"It’s important that I spoke up at the time," said Farah on Thursday after travelling back from training in Ethiopia.

"It did affect me. Speaking to my kids and not being able to see my kids.

"That affected me so it was important that I speak up and say what was right.

"I believe that was an unfair decision. Suddenly your country… When you’ve been there for 6 years and done everything right, overnight to tell you that you can’t come back to your kids is unfair."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Riedle calls for more Asian players to make the brave move to Europe
Riedle calls for more Asian players to make the brave move to Europe

May 28 1997 was fondly remembered by Riedle as one of his finest day as a professional footballer. It was the day that his Borussia Dortmund side upset the apple cart and lifted the UEFA Champions League after a magnificent 3-1 over Juventus. It has been 20 years since that fateful night in Munich, Germany but very few finals have managed to live up to the drama and quality that was on display at the Olympicstadion where Riedle became the nemesis of many Juventus fans.

'Dortmund not comparable to Bayern' - Van Gaal not interested in 'small' BVB job

Louis van Gaal claims he rejected a chance to take over as Bayern Leverkusen boss and would only return to top-flight coaching in charge of a "big club" - a list that does not include Borussia Dortmund. Former Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Netherlands head coach Van Gaal has not worked since parting company with Manchester United in May 2016. Speaking to Dutch television programme De Tafel van Kees on Fox Sports, the 66-year-old explained he had set a particularly high bar on any footballing return.

Rejuvenated Real Madrid eye fifth prize of 2017
Rejuvenated Real Madrid eye fifth prize of 2017

Madrid trail Barca by eight points at the top of La Liga and finished second to Tottenham Hotspur in their Champions League group, which proved costly as they were paired with free-spending Paris Saint-Germain in a blockbuster last 16 tie on Monday. Until then Madrid had lacked the same killer instinct as last season with Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema scoring a combined total of just six times in La Liga, while Gareth Bale has made just one brief appearance as a substitute since September.

Conte urges Chelsea to be
Conte urges Chelsea to be 'positive' after landing Messi and Barcelona in Champions League

Antonio Conte says Chelsea must embrace the challenge of being handed a daunting Champions League tie against Barcelona. Chelsea were pitted with the leaders of La Liga when the draw for the last 16 took place in Nyon on Monday. "Our reaction must be positive," said head coach Conte in a news conference ahead of Tuesday's Premier League meeting with Huddersfield Town.

Antonio Conte sends message to Chelsea squad after drawing Barcelona
Antonio Conte sends message to Chelsea squad after drawing Barcelona

Antonio Conte says Chelsea must embrace the challenge of being handed a daunting Champions League tie against Barcelona. Chelsea were pitted with the leaders of LaLiga when the draw for the last 16 took place in Nyon on Monday. "Our reaction must be positive," said head coach Conte in a news conference ahead of Tuesday's Premier League meeting with Huddersfield Town.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: World

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.