Edward Snowden Boasts That He Got Security Clearance Faster Than 'Half Of This White House'




Edward Snowden Boasts That He Got Security Clearance Faster Than 'Half Of This White House'
Edward Snowden Boasts That He Got Security Clearance Faster Than 'Half Of This White House'  

National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden quipped in a tweet Monday that he won government security clearance "faster than half of this White House."

Snowden, an NSA contractor who leaked thousands of documents exposing the agency's global electronic eavesdropping, made the comment in a reply to a tweet by journalist Barton Gellman. Gellman, who has written extensively on the government, privacy and security, noted that it's "highly unusual" for so many in the Trump administration to be still lacking permanent clearance after this much time. Yet they still have access to sensitive information.

The issue was raised dramatically last week when news emerged that security clearance for White House staff secretary Rob Porter was held up by accusations of domestic violence from both of his ex-wives. Porter quit his White House job last Wednesday. He insists the accusations are unfounded.

The Washington Post reported last week that "dozens" of White House staffers are still waiting for permanent security clearances. Among those is Donald Trump's son-law-law, Jared Kushner.

Kushner, a top-level adviser to the president, is also apparently a person of interest in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into possible Trump campaign collusion with Kremlin interference in the U.S. presidential election. He also remains an investor in the Kushner family real estate empire, which has international holdings and investors. In addition, he has amended his financial disclosure forms several times to add information that he had previously omitted.

It's particularly unusual for someone at Kushner's level in the White House, who should be on a fast track, to wait more than three months for the permanent security clearance he needs, a source told the Post. "That just tells me that somebody's uncomfortable with the information that they have in his background," another source explained to the newspaper.

But a lawyer quoted by the Post, Mark Zaid, who represents government workers going through the process, said it's not necessarily sinister that so many still lack permanent security clearance. He believes that investigations may be slowed by the fact that more people than usual have never before had clearance, and they also may have have complicated financial holdings with international connections. Zaid wrote the same to Gellman in a tweet.

Democrats have demanded "credible oversight" of the security clearance process. Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, complained in a letter last week to the committee chairman, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), that Democrats have been blocked from important information.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump says arm US teachers; they love kids as others don
Trump says arm US teachers; they love kids as others don't

President Donald Trump told conservatives Friday that even Second Amendment supporters can get behind steps to fight gun violence in schools, offering a red-meat call for arming teachers and suggesting ...

Trump comments points to deep divisions over arming teachers
Trump comments points to deep divisions over arming teachers

Utah teacher Kasey Hansen says carrying a concealed weapon in school is "more of a solution" than hiding in a corner and waiting if an armed intruder enters the classroom. But Texas teacher Tara ...

Trump threatens to pull law enforcement from California
Trump threatens to pull law enforcement from California

US President Donald Trump threatened to pull immigration and other federal law enforcement agents from California on Thursday, a warning shot to the country's richest and most populous state. Complaining that California was not complying with his hardline position on migrants, Trump warned he could cut vital help from Washington and prompt a crime wave. "We are getting no help from the state of California," Trump continued, claiming the state was protecting members of the violent MS13 gang.

NRA head breaks silence to attack gun control advocates: 'They hate individual freedom'
NRA head breaks silence to attack gun control advocates: 'They hate individual freedom'

The head of the powerful National Rifle Association (NRA) has broken his silence more than a week after the Florida school shooting with a vituperative attack on gun control advocates, accusing them of exploiting the tragedy to push their agenda. Wayne LaPierre, whose lobby group faces an unprecedented challenge from the activism of students, including survivors of the massacre, sought to paint his opponents as "elites" and "socialists" hellbent on undermining Americans' constitutional rights.

Shooting town hall: Rubio on the defensive on gun control
Shooting town hall: Rubio on the defensive on gun control

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio was put on the defensive Wednesday by angry students, teachers and parents who are demanding stronger gun-control measures after the shooting rampage that claimed 17 lives at ...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.