Donald Trump orders immediate and full withdrawal of US troops from Syria




 

Donald Trump plunged America's Middle East policy into chaos on Wednesday as he declared the the Islamic State (Isil) had been "defeated" and ordered a complete withdrawal of US forces from Syria.

The shock decision to pull out US troops was immediately criticised by his own Republican allies as a "huge" mistake and his declaration of victory over Isil was openly contradicted by the British government.

Republicans warned the withdrawal would jeopardise the fight against Isil and undermine US hopes of countering Iran's influence in Syria. It may also embolden Turkey to launch a major offensive against America's Kurdish allies in northern Syria.

US diplomats began an immediate evacuation from Syria within 24 hours. America's 2,000 troops are expected to be all be withdrawn from the country by the end of March, US officials told Reuters.

"We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency," Mr Trump wrote on Twitter.

Tobias Ellwood, a junior UK defence minister replied: "I strongly disagree. It has morphed into other forms of extremism and the threat is very much alive."

The decision appears to indicate that Mr Trump has decided to follow his own instincts over the advice of US security officials, including Jim Mattis, the defence secretary, who urged him not to withdraw American forces.

Mr Trump has said often that he wanted to get out of Syria and in a speech in March this year he said US troops would be "coming out of Syria like very soon".

But he was persuaded to continue the American deployment. Senior US officials like John Bolton, Mr Trump's national security advisor, have spent recent weeks saying the US was committed to a longterm presence in Syria to counter Iran.

Those promises by Mr Bolton and others appeared to have been cast aside by Mr Trump's announcement Wednesday.

"Withdrawal of this small American force in Syria would be a huge Obama-like mistake," said Lindsey Graham, a Republican senator close to Mr Trump. "The confusion surrounding our Syria policy is making life much more difficult and dangerous for Americans in the region."

The news was met with dismay by America's Kurdish allies in the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who have been fighting alongside US troops against Isil in eastern Syria.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's president, has been threatening to launch a new offensive against the Kurds in northern Syria. The presence of US forces had acted as a deterrent to Mr Erdgoan but their withdrawal makes it more likely Turkish forces will move ahead with their attack.

Analysts suggested the Kurds may feel they have no choice now but to ally with the Assad regime to try to protect themselves against Turkey.

"It's a sad state of affairs when our key allies on the ground, who've shed blood and thousands of lives for our fight against Isil, are to be well and truly abandoned," said Charles Lister, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute.

He said the decision was "extraordinarily short-sighted and naive" and would benefit not only Isil but also Iran, Russia, and the Syrian regime.

Russia's foreign ministry welcomed the US troop withdrawal and said it believed the decision would help lead to political settlement in Syria. Russia has its own military force in Syria fighting on behalf of the Assad regime.

Whitehall had been braced for an announcement on the US withdrawal from Syria, but Mr Trump's tweet took Downing Street by surprise.

Britain will renew its commitment to airstrikes against Isil in Syia and will not be withdrawing from the conflict, government sources said.

Several dozen British commandos are believed to be on the ground in Syria operating alongside US forces, while the UK continues to carry out airstrikes against Isil.

The decision is also likely to be unnerving for Israel, which saw the US presence in Syria as a counterweight to Iranian influence in the country. Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, said he had been forewarned of the withdrawal and promised that Israel would continue to counter Iran regardless of America's decision.

Whitehall had been braced for an announcement on the US withdrawal from Syria, but Mr Trump's tweet took Downing Street by surprise. Britain will renew its commitment to airstrikes against Isil in Syia and will not be withdrawing from the conflict, government sources said.

Several dozen British commandos are believed to be on the ground in Syria operating alongside US forces, while the UK continues to carry out airstrikes against Isil.

Mr Trump's declaration of victory came shortly after US and SDF forces drove Isil fighters out of the town of Hajin, their last urban stronghold in Syria. But the group continues to control areas of rural territory and just hours before Mr Trump's tweet the US military put out a statement detailing its ongoing campaign against Isil in eastern Syria.

Isil itself claimed responsibility for an attack in Raqqa just a few minutes before Mr Trump pronounced them defeated.

The group's fugitive leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is still at large and is believed to be hiding in a remote area near the Iraq-Syria border. The UN warned in August that the group may still have up to 30,000 fighters in Iraq and Syria, waiting to launch insurgent attacks in both countries.

US officials have repeatedly warned that Isil would not be defeated even when its territory had all been taken and said the jihadists could regroup if Western pressure was taken off them.

Just last week, Brett McGurk, Mr Trump's special envoy on the fight against Isil, said the US would not "just pick up and leave" Syria.

"If we've learned one thing over the years, enduring defeat of a group like this means you can't just defeat their physical space and then leave; you have to make sure the internal security forces are in place to ensure that those security gains are enduring," he said.

The White House said in a statement after Mr Trump's tweet that the US has "defeated the territorial caliphate" and "started returning United States troops home as we transition to the next phase of this campaign".

"These victories over ISIS in Syria do not signal the end of the Global Coalition or its campaign," the statement said.

One US defence official told the New York Times that they believed Mr Trump had made the Isil announcement to distract from the Russian investigation and other alleged corruption scandals swirling around the White House.

"For most US allies and adversaries, this move will look like a 'withdrawal,' not a 'victory,' and yet more evidence of the dangerous unpredictability of the US President," Mr Lister said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

House Oversight threatens to subpoena Kellyanne Conway
House Oversight threatens to subpoena Kellyanne Conway

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has cited Conway for multiple violations of the Hatch Act.

North Korea says Kim receives
North Korea says Kim receives 'excellent' letter from Trump
  • World
  • 2019-06-23 05:32:40Z

The White House declined to confirm that Trump had sent a letter to Kim. It comes as nuclear talks between the U.S. and North Korea broke down after the failed summit between Kim and Trump in February in Vietnam.

Amid tough talk, Trump says he could be Iran
Amid tough talk, Trump says he could be Iran's 'best friend'

President Donald Trump said Saturday that military action against Iran was still an option for its downing of an unmanned U.S. military aircraft, but amid heightened tensions he dangled the prospect of eventually becoming an unlikely "best friend" of America's longtime Middle Eastern adversary. Trump also said "we very much appreciate" that Iran's Revolutionary Guard chose not to target a U.S. spy plane carrying more than 30 people. The president's softer tone Saturday marked a stark contrast to the anti-Iran rhetoric he employed throughout the presidential campaign and presidency, including his use of punishing economic sanctions in an attempt to pressure Iran to give up its quest to...

Trump postpones nationwide immigration enforcement sweep
Trump postpones nationwide immigration enforcement sweep

President Donald Trump on Saturday delayed a nationwide immigration sweep to deport people living the United States illegally, including families, saying he would give lawmakers two weeks to work out solutions for the southern border. The move came after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Trump on Friday

Trump Says He Scrapped Iran Strikes Because They Weren
Trump Says He Scrapped Iran Strikes Because They Weren't 'Proportionate'

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said he called off retaliatory strikes on three Iranian sites following the downing of a U.S. Navy drone because the action would not have been "proportionate.""We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General," Trump tweeted Friday. "10 minutes before the strike I stopped it."A commander in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps told a semi-official news agency Friday that the drone had been accompanied by a manned U.S. spy plane that Iranian forces decided not to target.The planned U.S. attack, ordered after Iranian forces shot down a U.S. Navy drone...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.