Donald Trump Jr. has agreed to appear for limited closed door session with Senate Intel committee




  • In Politics
  • 2019-05-14 22:10:00Z
  • By ABC News
 

Donald Trump Jr. has agreed to appear for limited closed door session with Senate Intel committee originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Donald Trump Jr has agreed to meet with the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence committee for another interview, according to sources familiar with the matter.

In responding to the subpoena from the committee, sources tell ABC News attorneys for Trump Jr say that he is expected to appear in early June for a closed-door interview that will be limited in scope and time.

A source close to Trump Jr says the president's eldest son is "incredibly appreciative to the members that went to bat for him, and he will return the favor come the 2020 campaign."

The Senate Intelligence Committee has not responded to ABC News' request for comment.

The Republican chairman of the committee, Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina, faced political backlash from members of his own party over his decision to subpoena Trump Jr. Burr told fellow Republican senators last week that Trump Jr had twice agreed to voluntary interviews, but after the president's son failed to appear both times, the committee was forced to issue a subpoena, according to a source familiar with the committee's activity.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., a staunch supporter of President Trump, called Burr's move an "overzealous persecution of the president's family" and Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a Senate Intelligence Committee member, said the subpoena request "smacks of politics."

President Trump, for his part, said he was "surprised" by the subpoena, adding that he "saw Richard Burr saying there was no collusion two or three weeks ago." Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell sought to downplay the action, telling a local radio station the president "ought not to worry about it."

ABC News' Mariam Khan contributed to this report.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump renews attacks on Democratic congresswoman Omar
Trump renews attacks on Democratic congresswoman Omar
  • US
  • 2019-07-19 18:40:58Z

Somali-born U.S. congresswoman Ilhan Omar is "lucky to be where she is," President Donald Trump said on Friday, pressing on with attacks on four minority women Democratic U.S. representatives he has said should "go back" to where they came from. Trump on Thursday sought to distance himself from supporters' chants of "send her back" at a rally where he blasted Omar, as his fellow Republicans worried the sharp rhetoric might become a theme of his 2020 re-election campaign. "I'm unhappy when a congresswoman goes and says: 'I'm going to be the president's nightmare,'" Trump told reporter at the White House on Friday.

Iran claims US shot down its own drone by mistake
Iran claims US shot down its own drone by mistake
  • World
  • 2019-07-19 08:23:33Z

Iran denied on Friday denied lost a drone in the Strait of Hormuz after President Donald Trump said that a US Navy ship had "destroyed" an Iranian drone. Abbas Araqchi, Deputy Foreign Minister, said: "We have not lost any drone in the Strait of Hormuz nor anywhere else. I am worried that USS Boxer has shot down their own UAS [Unmanned Aerial System] by mistake!."  Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi, an Iranian armed forces spokesman., added: Despite Trump's baseless and delusional claims, all of (Iran's) drones... have safely returned to their bases." "There have been no reports of a confrontation with the American USS Boxer" naval vessel, he added,...

The Latest: Trump claims he was
The Latest: Trump claims he was 'not happy' with chant

President Donald Trump says he "was not happy" when his supporters at a rally Wednesday night in North Carolina chanted "send her back" in reference to Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar. Trump said this weekend that Omar and other progressive Democratic lawmakers of color should leave the country and "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came" over their criticism of his administration.

President Trump says US Navy ship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz
President Trump says US Navy ship destroys Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz
  • World
  • 2019-07-18 20:52:00Z

"The Boxer took defense action against the drone which had closed into a very close distance, approximately a thousand yards, ignoring multiple calls to stand down and was threatening the safety of the ship and the ship's crew," Trump said at the White House. "This is the latest of many provocative and hostile actions by Iran against vessels operating in international waters," he continued.

Closer to War: U.S. Troops Aboard Amphibious Assault Ship Force Down Iranian Drone
Closer to War: U.S. Troops Aboard Amphibious Assault Ship Force Down Iranian Drone
  • World
  • 2019-07-18 20:42:00Z

U.S. troops aboard an amphibious assault ship on July 18, 2019 forced down an Iranian drone over the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. president Donald Trump announced.The downing comes just a few weeks after Iranian forces downed an American drone in the same area. The mutual shoot-downs could escalate the already tense situation in the Persian Gulf region.Trump said the unmanned aerial vehicle threatened USS Boxer.Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told The New York Times that Boxer was in international waters at the time of the incident. The drone "closed within a threatening range" before Boxer took action.U.S. Marines embarked on Boxer used radio-jamming gear to bring down the drone, CNN...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.