DOJ moves to dismiss case against former Trump adviser Michael Flynn




  • In US
  • 2020-05-07 20:52:00Z
  • By ABC News
DOJ moves to dismiss case against former Trump adviser Michael Flynn
DOJ moves to dismiss case against former Trump adviser Michael Flynn  

The Justice Department on Thursday moved to dismiss its criminal case against retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the first national security adviser to President Donald Trump, marking the conclusion of one of the most notable prosecutions brought by former special counsel Robert Mueller.

Flynn twice pleaded guilty to one charge of lying to federal investigators about his discussions during the presidential transition with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak in December 2016. Since his first plea, in December 2017, Flynn spent a considerable portion of his extensive legal purgatory cooperating with the federal prosecutors.

MORE: What you need to know about the indictment against Michael Flynn

But Thursday's blockbuster reversal was preceded by months of haggling by Flynn's counsel to have charges dropped.

Just last week, a federal judge cleared the release of four new FBI documents in Flynn's after the Justice Department joined Flynn's legal team in a motion to make the materials public. Those records showed hand-written notes taken by senior FBI officials about the interview in which Flynn lied to investigators.

MORE: Flynn hoping DOJ review, or pardon from Trump, will free him from legal purgatory

On Thursday, prosecutors wrote that "the Government is not persuaded that the January 24, 2017 interview was conducted with a legitimate investigative basis and therefore does not believe Mr. Flynn's statements were material even if untrue."

Hours before the Justice Department's filing, former special counsel prosecutor Brandon van Grack withdrew from Flynn's case without explanation. Van Grack had worked over the past several months with U.S. attorney Jeffrey Jensen who was appointed by Attorney General William Barr to conduct a review into the case earlier this year.

In a statement to reporters, Jensen said he "concluded the proper and just course was to dismiss the case. I briefed Attorney General Barr on my findings, advised him on these conclusions, and he agreed."

Barr himself has not yet issued a public statement on the motion for dismissal.

MORE: Justice Department reviewing handling of Michael Flynn case: Source

Prosecutors wrote Thursday that "continued prosecution of this case would not serve the interests of justice."

"The government concluded that the interview of Mr. Flynn was untethered to, and unjustified by, the FBI's counterintelligence investigation into Mr. Flynn," the filing read.

Reacting to the news from in Oval Office meeting with Texas GOP Gov. Greg Abbott, Trump called Flynn "an innocent man" and condemned those who brought the case as "dishonest, crooked people."

"I didn't know that was happening at this moment," Trump said. "I felt it was going to happen just by watching and seeing like everybody else does."

MORE: Trump considering a 'pre-sentencing pardon' for Michael Flynn: Sources

Multiple senior level sources told ABC News the White House was made aware of the Justice Department's decision to drop charges against Flynn earlier Thursday morning. Jay Sekulow, the president's attorney, released a statement Thursday afternoon rejoicing that "justice has been served."

"The actions of the Special Counsel against General Flynn were outrageous," Sekulow continued. "Bob Mueller should be ashamed of the conduct of his agents and lawyers during the Special Counsel investigation. The Attorney General and the Department of Justice are correcting a horrible wrong."

Reached for comment, Flynn's brother, Joe Flynn, told ABC News, "Holy moly! After three and a half years of tortuous prosecution, justice has been served."

The FBI did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.

ABC News' Elizabeth Thomas contributed to this report.

DOJ moves to dismiss case against former Trump adviser Michael Flynn originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

COMMENTS

More Related News

What Top Conservatives Are Saying About George Floyd and Police Brutality
What Top Conservatives Are Saying About George Floyd and Police Brutality

In her typical appearances on Fox News, Jeanine Pirro, a former Republican district attorney, reserves her highest dudgeon for castigating liberals and lamenting the demise of law and order.But on Friday's "Fox & Friends," Pirro's voice nearly broke as she described the agonizing final moments of George Floyd, the black man who died after a Minneapolis police officer ignored his pleas and pinned him to the ground during a routine stop."George Floyd was begging, saying he couldn't breathe, saying please, please," Pirro told viewers. "This man who put his knee on the neck of George Floyd does not deserve to be free in this country."Even right-wing stars like Rush Limbaugh hedged their...

Fiery Clashes Between Police and Protesters Spread Through U.S.
Fiery Clashes Between Police and Protesters Spread Through U.S.

Protesters who took to the streets in Minneapolis for the fifth straight night Saturday met a more determined response from police officers and National Guard troops, as demonstrations escalated in dozens of cities across the country -- an outpouring of national anger sparked by the death of a black

Fox News Host Chris Wallace Confronts GOP Sen. Tim Scott With
Fox News Host Chris Wallace Confronts GOP Sen. Tim Scott With 'Vicious' Trump Tweets

Towards the end of his interview with Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) on Sunday morning, Fox News host Chris Wallace forced his guest to reckon with the series of incendiary tweets President Donald Trump posted over the weekend as anti-police violence protests raged across the country. Paraphrasing his previous guest, Dr. Cornel West, the Fox News Sunday host said, "We have to talk not only about what is going on in the riots in the street, we have to talk about what is going on among people at the highest levels of our society."Wallace began with the tweet that Twitter hid from users for violating its policy against "glorifying violence." Trump wrote, "These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of...

George Floyd death: Ex-officer charged with murder in Minneapolis
George Floyd death: Ex-officer charged with murder in Minneapolis

An ex-police officer in Minneapolis is detained over the death of unarmed black man George Floyd.

Twitter hides Trump tweet for
Twitter hides Trump tweet for 'glorifying violence'
  • US
  • 2020-05-29 07:47:00Z

Twitter's decision to step in, at a time of racially charged civil unrest in cities across the United States, escalates a feud between Trump and tech companies. It came just hours after Trump signed an executive order threatening Silicon Valley social media firms with new regulations over free speech. "...These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won't let that happen.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US