Djokovic appears to break confinement rules in Spain




Djokovic appears to break confinement rules in Spain
Djokovic appears to break confinement rules in Spain  

MADRID (AP) -- Novak Djokovic apparently broke confinement rules in Spain by going back to a tennis court on Monday.

Djokovic posted a video on Instagram showing him exchanging shots with another man at a tennis club in the coastal city of Marbella, where the Serb has reportedly stayed.

Djokovic filmed the video while hitting shots and wrote he was ''so happy to play on clay .. well, just for a bit with my phone in the hands.''

Spain on Monday loosened some of the lockdown measures that had been in place since mid-March because of the coronavirus pandemic, allowing professional athletes to return to practice. But sports facilities are supposed to remain closed at least until next week in most parts of the country, with the exception of training centers for teams in professional leagues in sports such as soccer.

The Spanish tennis federation said in a statement on Monday that professional players in Spain were allowed to exercize by themselves or with a coach, but not yet on a tennis court. It said it would work on a set of guidelines to inform players and clubs about what they would be permitted to do beginning next week.

The federation's statement did not appear to be related to Djokovic's appearance on the court in Marbella.

Requests for comment made to the federation and to Djokovic's staff late on Monday were not immediately answered.

It was not clear if Djokovic, the reigning AustraliA would be subjected to fines or sanctions if it was confirmed he broke the lockdown rules.

The No. 1-ranked Djokovic recently said he was against taking an anti-coronavirus vaccination if it became mandatory to travel once the pandemic subsides, though he later said he was open to changing his mind.

Spain was one of the hardest hit countries by the pandemic but it started loosening some of its restrictions on movement as the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 started to go down in recent weeks. The country went into a lockdown on March 14.

---

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

COMMENTS

More Related News

Novak Djokovic and his wife test negative for coronavirus
Novak Djokovic and his wife test negative for coronavirus

Novak Djokovic and his wife have tested negative for the coronavirus, his media team said Thursday, 10 days after announcing they had contracted the disease. The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia amid the pandemic. No social distancing was observed at the matches in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia.

Analysis: No Wimbledon, jumbled season and
Analysis: No Wimbledon, jumbled season and 'Big 4' legacies

It's a complete guessing game, but it's still fun to discuss: Will the legacies of the four most prominent and successful tennis players of today - and maybe ever - be affected by the coronavirus-interrupted 2020 season? Williams owns 23 Grand Slam singles titles, the most in the professional era. Federer has a men's-record 20, Nadal 19 and Djokovic 17; no other man has more than 14.

Djokovic event lacked bit of common sense, says Amritraj
Djokovic event lacked bit of common sense, says Amritraj

Novak Djokovic's intentions in organising the ill-fated Adria Tour were good but the world number one could have applied a bit more common sense to how the exhibition event was run, former ATP players' council head Vijay Amritraj has told Reuters. The Serbian has faced fierce criticism after he, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki contracted COVID-19 following the charity event in Serbia and Croatia. Indian Amritraj told Reuters that while the world number one's intentions were "absolutely correct", and that he had followed local government protocols, he should have went the extra mile to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved.

Hundreds of fans allowed at Berlin tennis exhibitions
Hundreds of fans allowed at Berlin tennis exhibitions

Up to 800 spectators per day will be allowed at a tennis exhibition in Berlin in mid-July, even after four players tested positive for the coronavirus after playing in a similar event fronted by Novak Djokovic. Organizers of two tournaments in Berlin said Tuesday the city health authorities have approved a limited number of spectators. The maximum is set at 800 per day for a July 13-15 outdoor event on grass, and 200 per day for a hardcourt event in a hangar at the disused Tempelhof airport from July 17-19.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis