Defense Secretary Esper: US has reached a deal with the Taliban to reduce deadly attacks




  • In Business
  • 2020-02-14 19:04:52Z
  • By USA TODAY
Defense Secretary Esper: US has reached a deal with the Taliban to reduce deadly attacks
Defense Secretary Esper: US has reached a deal with the Taliban to reduce deadly attacks  

WASHINGTON - The Trump administration has reached an initial deal with the Taliban for a reduction in the deadly attacks that have ravaged Afghanistan for years, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters on Friday.

"The United States and the Taliban have negotiated a proposal for a seven-day reduction in violence," said Esper, who is in Germany for an international security conference.

The seven-day clock has not started ticking, but Trump administration officials hope it will lead to a broader Afghanistan peace deal and a significant withdrawal of U.S. troops.

"We've said all along that the best, if not only, solution in Afghanistan is a political agreement," Esper said. "Progress has been made on this front, and we'll have more to report on that soon, I hope."

There are about 13,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan whose mission is split between training Afghan security forces and conducting counterterrorism missions. The American military presence there dates to 2001 when U.S. troops helped topple the hardline Taliban government that had sheltered al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

"It is our view that seven days, for now, is sufficient," Esper said. But he cautioned that the next steps will be based on conditions inside Afghanistan, signaling the truce could go awry if Taliban or its allies violate the terms.

"It will be a continual evaluative process, as we go forward - if we go forward," Esper said.

A senior U.S. official said the seven-day truce will take effect "very soon" and could lead to the withdrawal of an unspecified number of American troops from Afghanistan. The official said the "reduction in violence" agreement will be followed by peace talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.

The official, who was not authorized to publicly discuss the matter and spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the Taliban had committed to a halt in roadside and suicide bombings, as well as rocket attacks.

A Taliban official familiar with the deal said that the second agreement would be signed on Feb. 29 and that the inter-Afghan dialogue would begin on March 10. The officials said Germany and Norway have offered to host the talks but there has been no decision on the venue.

That Taliban official added that the withdrawal of foreign troops would start gradually and would be phased over 18 months.

Friday's announcement is no guarantee of peace in the war-torn country. In September, U.S. negotiators hailed a breakthrough in talks only to see hope for peace dissipate after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a car bomb attack that killed an American. President Donald Trump then scrapped a planned meeting with the Taliban at Camp David.

But Trump, visiting troops at Bagram air base north of Kabul, announced in November that he had restarted peace talks.

In 2019, the U.S.-led coalition dropped more bombs in Afghanistan than in any other year of the war, including 2011, the year of peak U.S. involvement with 100,000 troops on the ground. The air campaign was intended in part to force the Taliban to negotiate.

More than 2,400 U.S. troops have been killed there, and more than 20,000 wounded in the fighting. Last year, the Pentagon estimated the cost to taxpayers for the war there at $737 billion.

A withdrawal of American forces also would likely take several months and require that some forces remain to protect the embassy and other U.S. interests.

U.S. officials have not publicly spelled out their timetable for an initial drawdown of U.S. troops in Afghanistan. But Trump has said he wants reduce the U.S. presence there to 8,600 troops.

The new developments came as Esper and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Friday in Munich with Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani. They spoke on the sidelines of an international security forum in Munich.

A truce had been widely anticipated, and Trump agreed in principle to the deal, according to U.S. officials.

The final details were hammered out in recent days by U.S. special envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad and Taliban representatives in Doha, Qatar. Khalilzad was in Munich and attended Pompeo and Esper's meeting as did Gen. Scott Miller, the commander of the U.S.-led international force in Afghanistan.

Contributing: The Associated Press

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: US reaches deal with Taliban to reduce Afghanistan attacks, Esper says

COMMENTS

More Related News

Coronavirus updates: Virginia Gov. Northam, wife test positive; US deaths projected to almost double by Jan. 1
Coronavirus updates: Virginia Gov. Northam, wife test positive; US deaths projected to almost double by Jan. 1

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and first lady Pamela Northam test positive. US deaths are projected to almost double by Jan. 1. Latest COVID-19 news.

'He needs to get involved': Trump chief of staff rips FBI director for testimony on voter fraud

"Perhaps he needs to get involved on the ground and then he would change his testimony on Capitol Hill," Meadows said of FBI Director Wray.

Trump camp hopes Mideast pacts translate to Jewish support
Trump camp hopes Mideast pacts translate to Jewish support
  • World
  • 2020-09-25 14:06:32Z

Jewish American voters have leaned Democratic for decades, but Republicans are hoping the recent steps toward normalized relations between Gulf states and Israel - which Trump vigorously touted earlier this month - bolster his appeal to Jewish voters. With battleground states like Pennsylvania, Florida and Michigan collectively decided in 2016 by fewer than 200,000 votes, any loss of the Jewish support by Democratic nominee Joe Biden could be pivotal. "Democrats like to say they have a majority of the Jewish vote," said Republican Jewish Coalition executive director Matt Brooks, whose group is spending $10 million to boost Trump and other GOP candidates in electoral battlegrounds ahead...

Biden
Biden's push for unity faces test with Supreme Court fight
  • World
  • 2020-09-25 13:48:25Z

From the opening of his third presidential bid, Joe Biden has argued that he is in a unique position to mend a fractured nation and work - even with Republicans - to "unify the country" into some semblance of consensus. In the week since liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death, he's faced pressure from progressives seeking bolder action. President Donald Trump is expected to name his pick on Saturday, launching a confirmation process that may only deepen the nation's sectarian politics.

White House slams FBI chief Wray over voter fraud testimony
White House slams FBI chief Wray over voter fraud testimony
  • US
  • 2020-09-25 13:27:21Z

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Friday denigrated FBI Director Christopher Wray's ability to detect voter fraud in the U.S. election and suggested that if he "drill down" more he would change his congressional testimony on the issue. Wray told lawmakers on Thursday he has not seen evidence of a coordinated national voter fraud effort, undercutting President Donald Trump's unfounded assault on mail-in balloting as a threat to election security.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business