Defending champion Osaka defeats Gauff in US Open showdown




US teen Coco Gauff, left, wipes away tears as she speaks with top-ranked defending champion Naomi Osaka after the Japanese star advanced to the fourth round of the US Open on Saturday
US teen Coco Gauff, left, wipes away tears as she speaks with top-ranked defending champion Naomi Osaka after the Japanese star advanced to the fourth round of the US Open on Saturday  

New York (AFP) - Top-ranked defending champion Naomi Osaka defeated US 15-year-old sensation Coco Gauff 6-3, 6-0 on Saturday in a showdown at Arthur Ashe Stadium to reach the US Open's fourth round.

The 21-year-old from Japan, also the reigning Australian Open champion, dominated the American who reached the fourth round at Wimbledon to book a last-16 matchup against Swiss 13th seed Belinda Bencic.

The emotional clash was followed by tearful on-court interviews, Osaka asking Gauff to join her with the microphone as they met at the net.

"I said no because I knew I was going to cry the whole time," tearful Gauff said after Osaka talked her into it.

Gauff looked toward her doubles matches upcoming with partner Caty McNally then begged off, not wanting to spoil the moment for Osaka.

Gauff was aware of the controversial ending to last year's US Open final on the same court that left the awards ceremony a bittersweet one for Osaka -- fans booing after the umpire had awarded a penalty game to Osaka following insults from Serena Williams.

Osaka, fighting back her own tears, spoke to Gauff's parents, saying, "You guys raised an amazing player. I remember I used to see you guys training. Both of us made it and we're still working hard."

Osaka said the match was one of her best since winning the Australian Open.

"This is the most focused I've been since Australia," Osaka said, telling Gauff, "Sorry for playing you on this mentality."

After praising Gauff's movement skills on the court, Osaka appeared emotionally worn out over the moment.

"My brain isn't working any more," she said to end the interview. "I'm sorry."

COMMENTS

More Related News

'Excited' Djokovic confirms US Open participation

Novak Djokovic confirmed on Thursday he will play at the US Open, the world number one ending speculation about his presence at the first Grand Slam tournament since the season restarted following the coronavirus-enforced shutdown.

Djokovic says he will play at US Open
Djokovic says he will play at US Open

Novak Djokovic confirmed on Thursday he will play at the US Open, ending speculation about his presence at the first Grand Slam tournament since the coronavirus restart. "I'm happy to confirm that I'll participate at #CincyTennis and #USOpen this year," Djokovic tweeted. "It was not an easy decision to make with all the obstacles and challenges on many sides, but the prospect of competing again makes me really excited," the 17-time Grand Slam winner added.

ATP Cup on course, Australia plans more January tournaments: Tiley
ATP Cup on course, Australia plans more January tournaments: Tiley

The second edition of the ATP Cup is still scheduled to go ahead in January and Tennis Australia is considering adding more events alongside it to allow players to prepare for the Australian Open, TA Chief Executive Craig Tiley told Reuters. The $15 million ATP Cup, a joint venture between the men's tour and TA, debuted last year at the heart of a rejigged Australian Open warm-up schedule, which also included women's events in Adelaide, Brisbane and Hobart.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis