Congressman Calls For Hearing Into North Carolina Election Fraud Reports




Congressman Calls For Hearing Into North Carolina Election Fraud Reports
Congressman Calls For Hearing Into North Carolina Election Fraud Reports  

Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) called for an emergency hearing on election fraud in North Carolina after multiple outlets reported votes in the state's 9th district may have been altered.

"While the Republican majority is once again chasing conspiracies, real election fraud is playing out right before us in North Carolina's 9th Congressional District," Connolly, the vice ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, said in a statement. "We should see every action they take to ignore this situation for what it is ― a slap in the face to all voters in North Carolina who participated in the 2018 election with the expectation that every vote would be counted."

Initial results showed Republican Mark Harris defeated Democrat Dan McCready by fewer than 1,000 votes in last month's midterm elections. But the results have come under intense scrutiny after reports surfaced that a political operative working for Republicans ran an illegal ballot operation in Bladen County.

The reports prompted the Associated Press to rescind its initial call for Harris as the winner. The North Carolina State Board of Elections and Ethics said it was now investigating "claims of irregularities and fraudulent activities related to absentee by-mail voting and potentially other matters in the 9th Congressional District contest."

On Monday, the Charlotte Observer reported Leslie McCrae Dowless ― a man who worked as an "independent contractor" for Harris' campaign in Bladen County ― was possibly connected to suspicious absentee ballot activity. Dowless was convicted of perjury in 1990 and felony fraud in 1992, according to court records obtained by the paper. Dowless denied any wrongdoing to the publication.

"Votes have been stolen by preying on senior and minority voters, and now a cloud of doubt and suspicion hangs over this election result," Connolly said in his statement. "It is incumbent on Chairman [Trey] Gowdy to hold an emergency hearing before the end of this congressional session so that we can shed light and understand what happened in this race."

COMMENTS

More Related News

About 300,000 without power in U.S. southeast after storm
About 300,000 without power in U.S. southeast after storm
  • US
  • 2018-12-10 09:03:51Z

The storm headed out to sea but the region will stay cold this week, the National Weather Service's (NWS) Weather Prediction Center said. "This remains a dangerous system even as it moves off the coast," said lead NWS forecaster Michael Schichtel. One motorist died outside Charlotte, North Carolina, on Sunday, and divers searched for a driver whose 18-wheeler was found in a river in Kinston, North Carolina, a NBC affiliate in Raleigh reported.

Winter storm kills one, knocks out power to 310,000 in U.S. Southeast
Winter storm kills one, knocks out power to 310,000 in U.S. Southeast
  • US
  • 2018-12-10 04:00:34Z

A powerful winter storm that struck the U.S. Southeast over the weekend killed at least one motorist, left more than 310,000 customers without power and forced the cancellation of hundreds of flights on Sunday. A winter storm warning remained in effect for most of North Carolina, Virginia and southern

U.S. winter storm knocks out power to 190,000 in North Carolina
U.S. winter storm knocks out power to 190,000 in North Carolina
  • US
  • 2018-12-09 17:35:44Z

A powerful winter storm that hit the U.S. Southeast over the weekend knocked out power for more than 190,000 customers in North Carolina, officials said on Sunday. Authorities urged residents to stay off the roads as snow, sleet, and freezing rain were expected to continue into Sunday, the National Weather Service said. The agency reported between four and 12 inches (10 to 30 cm) of snow in some areas and warned about continuing snowfalls which could bring as much as a foot and a half (46 cm) from western and northern North Carolina to southwest Virginia.

FBI: Man arrested in death of North Carolina teenager
FBI: Man arrested in death of North Carolina teenager

Police have arrested and charged a man with killing a 13-year-old girl who was kidnapped last month from a North Carolina mobile home park. The FBI said early Saturday that Michael Ray McLellan has been charged in connection with the kidnapping and murder of Hania Noelia Aguilar. The announcement comes

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.