Cold comfort as Roland Garros starts in shadow of coronavirus





Roland Garros gets underway in chilly, damp Paris on Sunday still in the grip of the coronavirus which organisers had hoped they would escape by unilaterally pushing back the clay court Grand Slam event by four months.

Opening day will see 2018 champion Simona Halep start her bid for a third major while 40-year-old Venus Williams kicks off her 23rd French Open.

Andy Murray takes on fellow three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka in the day's marquee tie in a rematch of their epic 2017 semi-final duel.

However, it will be an eerily unfamiliar tournament, even for defending champion Rafael Nadal, chasing a 13th Paris title, and 2016 winner and world number one Novak Djokovic, as well as Serena Williams, pursuing an elusive 24th major.

A resurgence of Covid-19 cases means that only 1,000 spectators will be allowed into the grounds each day.

In 2019, more than 500,000 people watched the two-week tournament on site.

Organisers had hoped to welcome 20,000 fans a day but in the space of just a few weeks, that figure was quickly downsized to 11,500, then 5,000 before the French government slashed it to a 1,000 maximum.


- 'Millions up in smoke' -

"Tens of millions of euros have gone up in smoke," said French Tennis Federation (FFT) marketing chief Stephane Morel as he mourned the loss of ticket income.

Players, meanwhile, have been confined to two tournament hotels with tight restrictions on their movements.

It's at the hotels where they undergo Covid-19 testing, a source of controversy and recrimination in the build-up.

Last weekend, five players due to take part in men's qualifying were stood down.

Two had tested positive while three others had been in contact with coach Petar Popovic who also tested positive.

Popovic told L'Equipe it was a "scandal" and had "(Rafael) Nadal been in our shoes, he would have had the right to a second or third test".

On Friday, veteran Spaniard Fernando Verdasco said he was "outraged and frustrated" after being withdrawn following one failed Covid-19 test which he claimed fell between a steady stream of negative results.

Verdasco said he should have been allowed a second test.

Inside the grounds of Roland Garros, situated in the prosperous western district of Paris, there are further signs of the effect of the pandemic.

Normally bustling shops, food outlets and other commercial stalls have been shuttered.

Everyone at the tournament, including players if they are not in action or in practice, is masked. Hand sanitisers dot the site.

Instead of the early summer sun usually associated with the tournament in its traditional May-June slot, players will shiver in 16 degrees (60F) on Sunday with rain and high winds forecast for the first week.

That should mean overtime for the new retractable roof over the showpiece Court Philippe Chatrier.

On court Sunday, Halep, the top seed in the absence of world number one Ashleigh Barty, who opted not to defend her title on health grounds, takes on Spain's Sara Sorribes Tormo, ranked at 70.

Wimbledon champion Halep is the favourite especially with US Open champion Naomi Osaka missing through injury.

Former world number one Murray tackles 2015 champion Wawrinka in his first appearance in Paris in three years.


- Venus at 40 -

In 2017, the Swiss prevailed in a five-set semi-final, a match so gruelling that it contributed to Murray's lengthy battle with a hip injury which pushed him to the brink of retirement.

The day after sister Serena celebrated her 39th birthday, 40-year-old Venus Williams, who made her debut in Paris in 1997, takes on Anna Karolina Schmiedlova of Slovakia.

Nadal, bidding to win a 13th Roland Garros and move level with the absent Roger Federer on a record 20 majors, plays Monday.

However, the 34-year-old Spanish star says this year's tournament will be his "most difficult ever".

He has also complained about the new Wilson ball being used, claiming it's too heavy and potentially dangerous.

Nadal starts against Egor Gerasimov, the 83rd-ranked Belarusian.

Djokovic, chasing an 18th major, will get underway on Tuesday boasting a record in 2020 of 31 wins and just one loss due to his US Open default when he swiped a ball away in frustration and struck a line judge.

"I will make sure I don't make the same mistake twice," said the 33-year-old Serb who faces Sweden's Mikael Ymer in the first round.

dj/bsp

COMMENTS

More Related News

France closes Paris mosque in clampdown over teacher
France closes Paris mosque in clampdown over teacher's beheading

French authorities said Tuesday they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely-populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday's gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty's choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, said a source close to the investigation. The interior ministry said the mosque in Pantin, which has some 1,500 worshippers, would be shut on Wednesday night for six months. Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin,...

Andy Murray forced to pull out of Cologne ATP tournament with ongoing pelvic problem
Andy Murray forced to pull out of Cologne ATP tournament with ongoing pelvic problem

Andy Murray has pulled out of next week's ATP Tour event in Cologne because of a lingering pelvic problem. The former world No1 revealed ahead of the French Open last month that he had been forced to rest following a second-round loss at the US Open because of tendinitis in his left psoas muscle, which connects the spine to the femur. Murray said he had felt good physically once he began training on clay but he suffered a chastening first-round loss to Stan Wawrinka in Paris and was then beaten by Fernando Verdasco in his opening match in Cologne on Tuesday. The Scot had been due to stay on in the German city for this week's second tournament, the bett1HULKS Championships, where he had...

Demonstrators in France honor teacher beheaded after discussing Prophet Muhammad cartoons
Demonstrators in France honor teacher beheaded after discussing Prophet Muhammad cartoons

Samuel Paty, who discussed the Charlie Hebdo caricatures in class, was beheaded on Friday by an 18-year-old Chechen refugee who was shot dead by police.

Demonstrations in France will pay tribute to slain teacher
Demonstrations in France will pay tribute to slain teacher
  • World
  • 2020-10-18 09:26:14Z

Demonstrations around France have been called in support of freedom of speech and to pay tribute to a French history teacher who was beheaded near Paris after discussing caricatures of Islam's Prophet Muhammad with his class. Samuel Paty was beheaded on Friday by a 18-year-old Moscow-born Chechen refugee who was shot dead by police. Political leaders, associations and unions will demonstrate Sunday afternoon in Paris and in other major cities including Lyon, Toulouse, Strasbourg, Nantes, Marseille, Lille and Bordeaux.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Tennis