Christine Blasey Ford Can't Return Home Due To 'Unending' Threats, Lawyers Say




Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who publicly accused now-Supreme Court
Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who publicly accused now-Supreme Court  

Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who publicly accused now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, has not been able to return to her home and faces a near-constant stream of threats, her attorneys said in an interview on Sunday.

"This has been terrifying, her family has been through a lot," Ford's lawyer, Debra Katz, told MSNBC's Kasie Hunt. "They are not living at home, it's going to be quite some time before they're able to live at home. The threats have been unending, it's deplorable."

Earlier this month, Ford testified before the the Senate Judiciary Panel in a hearing that captured national attention. She spoke about her allegations, which were first made public in an interview with The Washington Post, that Kavanaugh had pinned her to a bed during a party when they were both in high school in the 1980s, attempted to remove her clothes and held his hand over her mouth to the point that she feared for her life.

Two other women came forward with their own allegations of sexual impropriety after Ford went public.

Kavanagh vehemently denied the allegations, and moved to paint the claims as a partisan attack that he linked to "a calculated and orchestrated political hit fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election."

During her remarks, Ford addressed her hesitation to come forward, saying she was not in front of lawmakers "because I want to be."

"I am terrified," Ford said. "I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me while Brett Kavanaugh and I were in high school. …I understand and appreciate the importance of hearing from me directly about what happened to me and the impact it has had only life and on my family."

Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court on Saturday in a narrow 50-48 vote.

Lisa Banks, another of Ford's attorneys, told MSNBC that Ford had no regrets about coming forward because she "still believes it was the right thing to do."

President Donald Trump stood steadfast beside Kavanaugh, and even moved to discredit Ford, mocking her at a rally shortly after her testimony and doubting the claims.

Ford's lawyers on Sunday said she was "horrified" at the president's attacks and compared her ordeal to that of Anita Hill, the woman who publicly testified against then-Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas.

"We thought it was bad back in 1991, and it's even worse today, the political climate and how women are treated," Banks said.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Ford investigating possible problems with fuel economy, emissions tests
Ford investigating possible problems with fuel economy, emissions tests

Ford Motor Co said on Thursday it had hired outside experts to investigate its vehicle fuel economy and testing procedures after employees raised concerns, and did not know whether it would have to correct data given to regulators or consumers. The investigation and concerns involving Ford's testing processes do not involve the use of so-called defeat devices - hardware and software designed deliberately to deceive government emissions tests, Kimberly Pittel, Ford's group vice president for sustainability, environment and safety engineering, told Reuters on Thursday. The automaker since last fall has been investigating concerns raised by employees that incorrect calculations were used...

Is This the Next-Gen 2022 Ford Ranger Pickup? We Think So
Is This the Next-Gen 2022 Ford Ranger Pickup? We Think So

Leaked photos out of Australia seem to show a clay styling model of the upcoming truck.

Ford
Ford's Brazil shutdown highlights automakers' woes with excess capacity

Ford Motor Co's oldest factory in Brazil, slated for closure later this year, was a giant among auto plants, occupying a sprawling 12 million square feet (111.5 hectares), bigger than many of the automaker's U.S. facilities. Ford announced on Tuesday it will close the factory and exit its heavy commercial truck business in South America as part of a global restructuring. Overall, Ford's Sao Bernardo plant produced 33,000 cars and heavy trucks in 2018, or just 11 vehicles per employee.

Ford pulls out of S. America truck business, closes Brazil plant
Ford pulls out of S. America truck business, closes Brazil plant

US automaker Ford said Tuesday it was pulling out of the commercial heavy truck business in South America, closing a plant in Brazil employing 2,800 workers that has been operating for half a century. The decision was made "as part of a comprehensive redesign of its global business," and after it decided that other options, such as partnerships, would not be viable, Ford said in a statement. The affected factory, in Sao Bernardo do Campo south of the megacity Sao Paulo, makes Cargo-model heavy trucks, F-4000 and F-350 pickup trucks and Ford Fiesta small cars.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.