Chinese student pleads guilty to taking pictures of Navy base in Key West




  • In US
  • 2020-02-21 23:04:36Z
  • By Miami Herald
Chinese student pleads guilty to taking pictures of Navy base in Key West
Chinese student pleads guilty to taking pictures of Navy base in Key West  

A Chinese doctoral student pleaded guilty Friday to taking photographs of a U.S. Navy base in Key West the day after Christmas and now faces up to one year in prison for the misdemeanor crime.

Lyuyou Liao, 27, appeared in U.S. District Court in Key West before Magistrate Judge Lurana Snow, two months after military police caught him using his cellphone to take photos after breaching the guarded property at the Navy's Truman Annex downtown.

"Guilty," Liao said, through a Mandarin interpreter when asked to plead to one count of photographing or sketching defense installations in Key West.

Prosecutors agreed to drop a misdemeanor charge of trespassing on military property and two additional counts of photographing defense installations in exchange for his guilty plea.

Sentencing is set for May 11 before Chief Judge K. Michael Moore in Key West. A jury trial had been set for March 2.

After the hearing, Liao's attorney, Daniel Rashbaum said he couldn't comment.

The change of plea ran contrary to what Liao originally said when caught by military police on the restricted property, which he walked onto at 6:50 a.m. Dec. 26, 2019, by going around a perimeter fence and entering from some rocks along the seawater.

Liao told police he walked onto the base to take photos of the sunrise.

Chinese national arrested for taking photos at Naval Air Station in Key West

Witnesses warned Liao he was trespassing as he used his cellphone camera to capture images of government buildings near "sensitive military facilities," according to the federal criminal complaint.

Liao agreed to waive his Miranda rights and told the agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in broken English that "he was trying to take photographs of the sunrise," according to the complaint affidavit.

But when Liao provided the pass code to his cellphone and allowed the agent to look at the images, the agent said he saw images of Truman Annex.

Liao was working on his Ph.D. in St. Louis, Missouri, while on a full scholarship from the Chinese government, prosecutors said.

Since the fall of 2018, four Chinese nationals have been arrested on charges of shooting pictures of military facilities in Key West, drawing the sharp interest of U.S. counterintelligence investigators who have been looking into suspected Beijing-led spying activities in South Florida, including visitors to President Donald Trump's private club, Mar-a-Lago, in Palm Beach.

Amid rising spy concerns, 2 more Chinese students held after shooting photos at base

Yuhao Wang and Jielun Zhang, both 24, are accused in a complaint of defying the guard at the gate at the entrance to Sigsbee Park Annex the morning of Jan. 4 so they could take illegal photos of sensitive military assets. Both were full-time students in master's degree programs at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. They are in jail awaiting the resolution of their cases. A trial is set for March 2 before Moore in Key West.

In September of last year, Zhao Qianli, who said he was a music student from China, got caught by Key West police trespassing at Truman Annex by using the beach at Fort Zachary State Park as his entrance. Two months later, federal agents searched his digital camera and found images of the Navy base.

The Joint Interagency Task Force South, which is responsible for security and military operations in Central America, South America and the Caribbean, is located at Truman Annex.

Qianli pleaded guilty in February to one count of photographing defense installations and was sentenced to one year in prison by Moore.

At the time of his arrest, Qianli said he was just a "dishwasher from New Jersey."

Lax security at Key West base 'boggles the mind,' judge in case of Chinese intruders says

COMMENTS

More Related News

Navy says it can
Navy says it can't remove all sailors from Roosevelt amid coronavirus because ship has weapons, nuclear reactor

The Navy said it couldn't evacuate all sailors off the ship amid a coronavirus outbreak because it is loaded with weapons and a nuclear reactor.

US warship captain seeks crew isolation as virus spreads
US warship captain seeks crew isolation as virus spreads
  • World
  • 2020-03-31 16:35:42Z

The captain of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier facing a growing outbreak of the coronavirus is asking for permission to isolate the bulk of his roughly 5,000 crew members on shore, which would take the warship out of duty in an effort to save lives. In a memo to Navy leaders, the captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt said the spread of the disease is ongoing and accelerating, and said that removing all but 10% of the crew is a "necessary risk" in order to stop the spread of the virus. U.S. Navy leaders on Tuesday were scrambling to determine how to best respond to the extraordinary request as dozens of crew members tested positive.

Check Out the First Photos from the Navy
Check Out the First Photos from the Navy's Hospital Ship in Los Angeles

The USNS Mercy, one of two Navy hospital ships, has arrived in Los Angeles to take non-COVID-19 patients.

Photos show the 1,000-bed Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort arriving in New York to support the city in its fight against the coronavirus
Photos show the 1,000-bed Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort arriving in New York to support the city in its fight against the coronavirus

Patients to be treated on the USNS Comfort will be transferred from local hospitals, according to the US Navy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US