China Open to Partial Trade Deal If Trump Removes Tariff Threats





(Bloomberg) -- Terms of Trade is a daily newsletter that untangles a world embroiled in trade wars. Sign up here.

China is still open to reaching a partial trade deal with the U.S., an official with direct knowledge of the talks said, signaling that Beijing is focused on limiting the damage to the world's second-largest economy.

Negotiators heading to Washington for talks starting Thursday aren't optimistic about securing a broad agreement that would end the trade war between the two nations for good, said the official, who asked not to be named as the discussions are private.

But China would accept a limited deal as long as no more tariffs are imposed by President Donald Trump, including two rounds of higher duties set to take effect this month and in December, the official said. In return, Beijing would offer non-core concessions like purchases of agricultural products without giving in on major sticking points, the official said, without offering further details.

S&P 500 futures rose 0.9% on the news and the offshore yuan extended gains. Separately, the Financial Times reported that China is offering to increase purchases of American soybeans to 30 million tons annually from 20 million presently, citing people briefed on the talks.

The Ministry of Commerce didn't immediately reply to faxed questions.The latest round of trade talks come just days after the White House announced the blacklisting of Chinese technology firms over their alleged role in oppression in the far west region of Xinjiang, as well as visa bans on officials linked to the mass detention of Muslims. At the same time a fight over free speech between China and the National Basketball Association, triggered by a tweet backing Hong Kong's protesters, showed the widening gap between the countries.

"There might be big breakthrough in the coming trade talks as both sides have expressed good gestures and positive signals," said Huo Jianguo, a former Chinese commerce ministry official who is now vice chairman of the China Society For World Trade Organization Studies. "The recent blacklist and sanctions from the U.S. is just another usual tactic to showcase that it has multiple tools in the trade negotiations in line with Trump's maximum pressure policy. It is hardly surprising to us and we shouldn't take it too seriously."

Bloomberg News reported last month that the Trump administration has discussed offering a limited deal that would delay or even roll back some U.S. tariffs for the first time in exchange for Chinese commitments on intellectual property and agricultural purchases. Questions about the strength of the U.S. economy have lingered before Trump faces an election next year.

President Xi Jinping's government is under pressure to stem the broadening conflict as the trade war adds to the downward forces on China's slowing economy. At the same time, China has resisted changes to its own industrial and economic policies that could potentially weaken the Communist Party's grip on the economy.

The trade talks have failed to make serious headway since negotiations collapsed in early May. Since then, China has ramped up its nationalist rhetoric as the U.S. has targeted national champions like Huawei Technologies Co.

The reaction of the Chinese state this week after an NBA team manager tweeted support of protesters in Hong Kong is a case in point, with broadcasters refusing to broadcast games watched by millions. China also vowed to retaliate after the U.S. took action against companies and officials it said were involved in oppressing Muslims in Xinjiang.

"The rising nationalism sentiment at home is creating hurdles for President Xi to make concessions in the upcoming trade talks with the U.S. in light of the NBA firestorm and Xinjiang sanctions," said Suisheng Zhao, executive director of the Center for China-U.S. Cooperation at the University of Denver's Graduate School of International Studies. "Even if China is willing to make some compromise, that space is limited."

(Updates with chart after second paragraph. The reference to a Financial Times story was corrected in a previous version of this story.)

--With assistance from Dandan Li and Kevin Hamlin.

To contact Bloomberg News staff for this story: Steven Yang in Beijing at kyang74@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Daniel Ten Kate at dtenkate@bloomberg.net, ;Jeffrey Black at jblack25@bloomberg.net, James Mayger

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

COMMENTS

More Related News

The Latest: Pelosi says Trump "most afraid" of Schiff
The Latest: Pelosi says Trump "most afraid" of Schiff

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says President Donald Trump and his Republican allies are "afraid" of the chief impeachment investigator, following a failed effort to censure him. Pelosi said "the GOP has not even tried to deny the facts" of Trump's pressure on Ukraine to investigate Democrats. Schiff later tweeted that Republicans will be remembered for lacking the courage to confront Trump.

Donald Trump calls for public identification of Ukraine whistleblower
Donald Trump calls for public identification of Ukraine whistleblower

Railing against impeachment, President Trump called for the identification of the whistleblower who accused him of improperly pressuring Ukraine.

Trump accidentally refers to Defense Secretary Esper as
Trump accidentally refers to Defense Secretary Esper as 'Mark Esperanto' in tweet defending Syria withdrawal

President Trump quoted "Mark Esperanto, Secretary of Defense" on Sunday. But the man in charge of the Pentagon is named Mark Esper, not Esperanto.

Trump drops plan to host G-7 at Doral
Trump drops plan to host G-7 at Doral

President Donald Trump on Saturday abruptly reversed his plan to hold the next Group of Seven world leaders' meeting at his Doral, Florida, golf resort next year. Accused of using the presidency to enrich himself by hosting the international summit at a private resort owned by his family, Trump announced a rare backtrack Saturday night. "Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020," Trump tweeted.

'We're going to have him for another four years.' Impeachment fight riles up Donald Trump supporters for 2020

Rather than hunkering down in Washington, Donald Trump is using the impeachment fight to rile up supporters in cities like Minneapolis and Dallas.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.