China Hints That It May Back North Korea in the Event of a War




 

The increasingly tense stand-off between the U.S. and North Korea may have hit a new high this week.

As U.S. and South Korean military units conducted an annual air power exercise over the Korean Peninsula, China's air force reportedly staged exercises in "routes and areas it has never flown before" over the Yellow and East Seas. The exercise involved reconnaissance planes, fighter jets, an early warning and control aircraft, and a joint operation with surface-to-air missile units.

The South China Morning Post quotes Li Jie, a Beijing-based military expert, as saying the drills were done specifically to send a message to Donald Trump.

"The timing of this high-profile announcement by the [People's Liberation Army] is also a warning to Washington and Seoul not to provoke Pyongyang any further," Jie told the Post.

The U.S. and South Korea used over 200 aircraft in their recent drills. North Korea has protested the exercise as an "all out provocation."

Whether Jie is correct about the intentions of the Chinese air force is tricky to determine at this point. China has previously condemned North Korea for launching test missiles and, three months ago, backed U.N. sanctions against the country after a significant nuclear test.

Trump's view of how China has reacted to North Korea's actions, as judged by his tweets, has run the gamut. In early November, he wrote "My meetings with President Xi Jinping were very productive on both trade and the subject of North Korea. He is a highly respected and powerful representative of his people." He praised the country for sending an envoy to speak with the North Korean government, but seemed frustrated earlier this month by the lack of results from that meeting.

Related Video:

Watch news, TV and more on Yahoo View.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump warnings grow from forgotten Republicans
Trump warnings grow from forgotten Republicans

The ranks of forgotten Republicans are growing. Some were forced out, such as Tim Pawlenty, a former two-term Minnesota governor who lost this week's bid for a political comeback. Some, such as the retiring Republican Sen. Bob Corker, chose to leave on their own.

AP source: It
AP source: It's not just audio, Manigault Newman has video

Omarosa Manigault Newman has made it clear that she plans to continue selectively releasing pieces of evidence to back up her claims if President Trump continues to attack her.

Pentagon delays Trump
Pentagon delays Trump's military parade until at least 2019

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Defense Department said Thursday that the Veterans Day military parade ordered up by President Donald Trump won't happen in 2018.

Bin Laden raid commander to Trump: revoke my security clearance too
Bin Laden raid commander to Trump: revoke my security clearance too

William McRaven, commander of the US Navy SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden, condemned President Donald Trump on Thursday for revoking the security clearance of former CIA chief John Brennan and asked that his be withdrawn as well. "Few Americans have done more to protect this country than

US newspapers to Trump: We
US newspapers to Trump: We're not enemies of the people

Newspapers from Maine to Hawaii pushed back against President Donald Trump's attacks on "fake news" Thursday with a coordinated series of editorials speaking up for a free and vigorous press - and, not surprisingly, Trump didn't take it silently. The Portland (Maine) Press-Herald said

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.