California shooting follows election of gun control advocate as governor




  • In US
  • 2018-11-10 02:23:13Z
  • By By Sharon Bernstein

By Sharon Bernstein

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - This week's fatal shooting of 12 people in a California bar by a Marine combat veteran came the day after the election of a new Democratic governor who has pushed for tighter gun control in the state, which already has some of the strictest firearms laws in the country.

Ian David Long, 28, used a .45 caliber Glock handgun equipped with a high-capacity magazine to mow down patrons late on Wednesday in the bar and dance hall filled with college students, authorities said.

The shooting raised questions about the efficacy of existing gun safety laws as Gavin Newsom, a two-term lieutenant governor closely aligned with gun control advocates, prepares to take the helm in the most populous U.S. state following his election victory on Tuesday.

"He's been such a champion on this issue so we expect to see more innovation from the legislators and approved by Gavin Newsom," said Laura Cutilletta, legal director of the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

By "champion" she was referring to the former San Francisco mayor's avid support of gun safety regulations,

Two years ago, Newsom co-authored a gun control ballot initiative that sought to extend the state's ban on the sale and transfer of high-capacity magazines to include those owned before the original legislation, passed in 1999, went into effect. Those magazines were "grandfathered" into the law.

Newsom's measure was challenged in a lawsuit supported by the National Rifle Association, and the courts put on hold the provision relating to high-capacity magazines.

Newsom on Thursday vowed to push for even stricter laws. Though he provided no specifics, he signaled a shift from outgoing Governor Jerry Brown, also a Democrat, who vetoed numerous gun control measures, including a bill to tighten the state's law against assault weapons.

"The response is not just prayers," the governor-elect said at a news conference on Thursday, referring to the shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, 40 miles (64 km) northwest of Los Angeles.

"The response cannot just be excuses. The response sure as hell cannot be more guns."

High-capacity magazines allow shooters to unleash prolonged torrents of bullets and reduce the need to re-load. Gun rights advocates have argued that such magazines help people defend their homes from intruders. But gun safety supporters say banning them would force perpetrators of mass shootings to pause and reload, creating an opening for law enforcement to respond.

It was not immediately clear how or when Long obtained his gun and magazine. He was a small child when California banned the sale of high-capacity magazines and would not have been able to legally own a gun or ammunition, said Chuck Michel, a lawyer representing gun owners challenging California's ban.

Long, he said, could have easily gone to another state to purchase a high-capacity magazine for his Glock. He also could have stolen one.

Numerous other states, including Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, and Washington, D.C., ban the sale of high-capacity magazines, according to the Giffords website.

California requires background checks for gun purchasers, keeps records of transactions, and in January is set to begin background checks for purchasers of ammunition.

Earlier this year, officers went to Long's home to answer a disturbance call and found him agitated, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said. Mental health specialists talked with Long and determined that no further action was necessary.

Still, Dean told reporters on Thursday that Long, who apparently killed himself in the bar, may have suffered from PTSD.

While Newsom on Thursday did not say what additional gun control measures he wanted to pursue, many gun rights advocates are bracing for an onslaught of new regulations under the incoming governor.

"Gavin Newsom has never met a gun ban he didn't like," Michel said.

(Reporting by Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento, California; additional reporting by Barbara Goldberg in New York; editing by Frank McGurty and Tom Brown)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump wants California to pay back billions for bullet train
Trump wants California to pay back billions for bullet train

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The Trump administration said Tuesday that it plans to cancel $929 million awarded to California's high-speed rail project and wants the state to return an additional $2.5 billion that it has already spent.

Trump Seeks to Take Back Funds From California Rail Project
Trump Seeks to Take Back Funds From California Rail Project

In addition, the U.S. Transportation Department said it was exploring legal options to recoup $2.5 billion in federal funds already granted to the project by the Federal Railroad Administration, according to a DOT statement. Initially conceived as connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles with a high-speed

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

School board in Virginia may end transgender bathroom ban
School board in Virginia may end transgender bathroom ban

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - For nearly four years, Gavin Grimm has been suing his former school district after it banned him from using the boys bathrooms in high school.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.