Budget Talks Stall as Democrats Seek More Government Spending




  • In Business
  • 2019-06-19 22:46:41Z
  • By Bloomberg
Budget Talks Stall as Democrats Seek More Government Spending
Budget Talks Stall as Democrats Seek More Government Spending  

(Bloomberg) -- Republican leaders balked at Democratic requests for spending on non-defense government programs, warning that the two parties are still far apart on a deal to avert a government shutdown and lift the debt ceiling.

The request came at a meeting Wednesday that included Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney and acting White House budget chief Russ Vought.

Republicans are demanding more money for defense, and Democrats want to match that with other government spending. Such a deal would raise budget caps, which under current law would trigger a $126 billion automatic budget cut at the end of 2019.

"We are further apart because the Democrats are asking for more money than they asked for last time," McCarthy said after the meeting. "They just want to spend more."

The top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee, Patrick Leahy, confirmed that Democrats made an offer but wouldn't say how much they proposed for non-defense discretionary spending. Mulvaney said Democrats are asking to spend $647 billion on government programs in fiscal year 2020, compared to the $639 billion they previously requested.

"You tell me if things are moving in the right direction," Mulvaney said after detailing Democrats' offer, implying that the meeting didn't go well.

Schumer said Republicans were mischaracterizing the offer from Democrats. He and Pelosi said in a joint statement that lawmakers working together "can get the job done."

"While we did not reach an agreement, today's conversation advanced our bipartisan discussions," they said. "If the House and Senate could work their will without interference from the president, we could come to a good agreement much more quickly."

Stopgap Measure

Mnuchin said the White House offered a one-year extension of current levels of government spending and a one-year suspension of the debt limit. He said everyone agreed they will raise the debt ceiling but there is still disagreement about the budget caps.

Many Republican members don't want a one-year extension because that would mean lower defense spending than Democrats are offering, and spending instructions for all agencies would be out of date.

Democrats adjusted their request because of internal calculations about resources needed for programs that were already authorized, according to a person familiar with the meeting. A Democratic aide attributed the discrepancy to funds for the census and tax enforcement.

Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard Shelby, an Alabama Republican, offered a more optimistic evaluation of the meeting, which he and Leahy also attended. While Shelby cautioned that the two sides are "not there yet," he said the "numbers are a lot closer than they have ever been."

With just over three months left until the Sept. 30 end of the current fiscal year, the annual budget process has once again gotten off to a slow start. Without new spending bills or a stopgap measure, the government would shut down Oct. 1. President Donald Trump has presided over three shutdowns already during his time in office, one of which was caused by Democrats over immigration.

The Senate has yet to begin debating its 12 annual spending bills for next year as the Appropriations Committee waits for congressional leaders to agree on the overall spending limit.

Debt Ceiling Deal

The Democrat-led House, on the other hand, is voting on some of its spending bills this week, although the policies and level of government outlays represent Democratic priorities -- without bipartisan approval.

The first package of four House spending bills, which includes defense and totals $1 trillion, passed the House Wednesday. The White House has threatened to veto what it described as an "attack" on Trump's agenda for, among other things, blocking the transfer of funds for his border wall.

Both sides are aiming for a two-year budget deal between the White House and congressional Democrats that would also increase the $22 trillion U.S. borrowing limit, which came back into effect in March. Without an increase, Treasury would begin defaulting on U.S. payment obligations this fall, according to independent estimates.

Pelosi said last week she agreed that the debt limit must be addressed, but only along with or after an agreement on the top-line levels of government spending. Before Wednesday's meeting, she said: "We will raise the debt ceiling," adding, "that is never in doubt."

(Updates with additional details beginning in the 11th paragraph.)

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump sues House panel, NY to protect state tax returns
Trump sues House panel, NY to protect state tax returns

Opening up another legal front against the Democrats investigating him, President Donald Trump on Tuesday sued the House Ways and Means Committee and New York state officials to prevent his state tax returns from being turned over to the congressional committee. The lawsuit seeks an injunction to block the application of a new New York state law that could allow the Democratic-controlled House and Ways Means Committee to obtain the returns. The lawsuit, filed in Washington, comes amid a furious White House attempt to prevent the president's tax returns to wind up in Democratic hands.

Trump and Pelosi Strike a Big Budget Deal
Trump and Pelosi Strike a Big Budget Deal

President Trump announced Monday afternoon that he had reached a deal with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other congressional leaders to raise spending on both defense and non-defense programs over the next two years and suspend the nation's borrowing limit. If passed, the agreement would avoid steep

Dubya Was Bad, but the Donald Might Be Worse: Richard Clarke
Dubya Was Bad, but the Donald Might Be Worse: Richard Clarke
  • World
  • 2019-07-22 08:55:17Z

Photo Illustration by The Daily Beast/GettyFormer White House counter-terrorism czar Richard A. Clarke, who worked directly under three presidents during his 30 years in government, still believes his ex-boss George W. Bush was the worst of them all.Yet Clarke-whose new book, The Fifth Domain, chronicles the dire threats to the United States posed by cyberwarfare-says Donald Trump is very likely, in the end, to wreak even more havoc "He's eviscerating the government.  He's eviscerating capabilities that we need," Clarke told The Daily Beast this week as the Los Angeles Times reported that the Trump administration had "gutted programs aimed at detecting weapons of mass...

Millions of Barrels of Iranian Oil Are Piled Up in China
Millions of Barrels of Iranian Oil Are Piled Up in China's Ports

(Bloomberg) -- Tankers are offloading millions of barrels of Iranian oil into storage tanks at Chinese ports, creating a hoard of crude sitting on the doorstep of the world's biggest buyer.Two and a half months after the White House banned the purchase of Iran's oil, the nation's crude is continuing

Columbia Sportswear CEO Tim Boyle Rebukes Trump for
Columbia Sportswear CEO Tim Boyle Rebukes Trump for 'Offensive' Comments Toward Congresswomen

Boyle also expressed his disapproval with the U.S. government's recent decision not to grant a Columbia Sportswear client a visa.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.