Bernie Sanders Says He Was Unaware Of Harassment Claims In 2016 Campaign




  • In Politics
  • 2019-01-03 02:30:38Z
  • By Nick Visser
Bernie Sanders Says He Was Unaware Of Harassment Claims In 2016 Campaign
Bernie Sanders Says He Was Unaware Of Harassment Claims In 2016 Campaign  

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said in an interview Wednesday that he had no knowledge of multiple allegations that members of his 2016 presidential campaign harassed or discriminated against female campaign workers. The claims have been circulating in recent weeks as the lawmaker mulls a second bid for the White House.

In an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper, Sanders said that his campaign for the Democratic nomination, which he lost to rival Hillary Clinton, exploded in size over several months as his team hired more than 1,200 employees. Sanders suggested that disorganization may have led to instances of inappropriate behavior within his campaign.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you that we did everything right in terms of human resources, in terms of addressing the needs that I'm hearing from now, that women felt disrespected, that there was sexual harassment which was not dealt with as effectively as possible," said Sanders, who is actively cultivating support for a 2020 bid.

His comments come on the heels of several reports from more than two dozen women working on the 2016 campaign. A story published Wednesday in The New York Times included several detailed accounts of employees reporting harassment or issues with large pay gaps between male and female staffers, only to have campaign leaders discount them.

A letter to Sanders from campaign alumni last month asked him to set new goals for future campaigns. The former workers also requested a meeting with the senator and his advisers to address their issues with his 2016 bid.

"We - the people who worked on Bernie 2016 - know that much of the success of our campaign was due to the intense commitment, passion and sacrifice of women, people of color and LGBT staffers," read the letter, first obtained by Politico. "In recent weeks there has been an ongoing conversation on social media, in texts, and in person, about the untenable and dangerous dynamic that developed during our campaign."

The Times notes that sources said their claims reached the desks of several leading campaign officials, but it's unclear if Sanders knew of them at the time.

On Wednesday, Sanders said his campaign for the 2018 midterms featured a new "gold standard" that other lawmakers should be working toward.

"What I will tell you is that when I ran for re-election in 2018 in Vermont we put forward the strongest set of principles in terms of mandatory training, in terms of women, if they felt harassed, having an independent firm that they could go to, and I think that's kind of the gold standard for what we should be doing," he said.

Sanders also issued an apology to those who voiced criticism of his 2016 presidential campaign, saying he apologized "to any woman who felt that she was not treated appropriately."

"And of course," he said, "if I run, we will do better next time."

COMMENTS

More Related News

House Oversight threatens to subpoena Kellyanne Conway
House Oversight threatens to subpoena Kellyanne Conway

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has cited Conway for multiple violations of the Hatch Act.

A civil war is coming for the Democratic Party - and it won't be pretty
A civil war is coming for the Democratic Party - and it won't be pretty

It is perfectly fine to be a party of and for the affluent in America, but at least don't simultaneously pretend to be the party of the little guy.

North Korea says Kim receives
North Korea says Kim receives 'excellent' letter from Trump
  • World
  • 2019-06-23 05:32:40Z

The White House declined to confirm that Trump had sent a letter to Kim. It comes as nuclear talks between the U.S. and North Korea broke down after the failed summit between Kim and Trump in February in Vietnam.

Trump Says ICE Raids Will Remove Migrants Who Broke U.S. Laws
Trump Says ICE Raids Will Remove Migrants Who Broke U.S. Laws

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said people who will be apprehended by immigration agents starting next week are being deported for defying orders to return to their home nations after breaking the law to enter the U.S."They have to be removed from the country. They will be removed from the country

Trump: president for all eternity?
Trump: president for all eternity?

President Donald Trump on Friday again joked about ignoring constitutional term limits by retweeting a meme showing him staying in the White House not just for one more term, but for eternity. The meme, ripping off an authentic Time magazine cover from October last year, portrays Trump re-election posters starting in 2024, then progressing steadily into the future. The date then rattles increasingly quickly through presidential terms, spinning past not just four years, but centuries at a time and then entire millennia.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Politics

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.