Bayer asks California judge to limit evidence in another Roundup cancer trial




  • In Science
  • 2019-01-22 23:51:40Z
  • By By Tina Bellon
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Bayer AG,  February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Ina Fassbender/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The logo of Bayer AG, February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Ina Fassbender/File Photo  

By Tina Bellon

(Reuters) - Bayer AG unit Monsanto has asked a California judge in the litigation over its glyphosate-based weed killer Roundup allegedly causing cancer to limit evidence by splitting an upcoming trial into two phases, a request previously successful with another judge.

Monsanto in a previously unreported filing on Jan. 15 asked California Superior Court Judge Winifred Smith in Oakland to split a March trial by a California couple into two phases.

Such a step would limit evidence the plaintiffs in the litigation consider crucial to their cases and describe as critical to a jury last year awarding $289 million in a similar case.

Under the company's proposal, lawyers for Alva and Alberta Pilliod in the initial trial phase would be barred from introducing evidence that the company allegedly attempted to influence regulators and manipulate public opinion.

Such evidence would be allowed only if glyphosate was found to have caused the Pilliods' cancer and the trial proceeded to a second phase to determine the company's liability.

A hearing on the issue is scheduled for Feb. 8.

"This court need only look across the Bay to determine whether (splitting up the trial) is appropriate for a Roundup/glyphosate trial," the company said in the filing.

U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria in San Francisco, who oversees the federal Roundup litigation with some 680 cases pending before him, on Jan. 3 approved the company's request to initially limit evidence in upcoming trials before him.

Following Chhabria's decision, Bayer's shares rose more than 6 percent.

Lawyers for the Pilliods on Tuesday declined to comment, saying they would file their response with the court on Jan. 28.

In front of Chhabria, the attorneys said their scientific evidence allegedly showing glyphosate causes cancer was inextricably linked to Monsanto's alleged wrongful conduct.

The lawyers contended that such evidence, including internal Monsanto documents, showed the company's misconduct and was critical to California state court jury's August 2018 decision to award $289 million in a similar case.

The verdict sent Bayer shares tumbling though the award was later reduced to $78 million and is under appeal.

Bayer denies allegations that glyphosate causes cancer, saying decades of independent studies have shown the world's most widely-used weed killer to be safe for human use.

But the company faces more than 9,300 U.S. lawsuits over Roundup's safety in state and federal courts across the country.

The Pilliods' case is scheduled to go to trial on March 18. The couple, who are in their 70s, allege their regular use of Roundup between 1975 and 2011 caused them to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph system.


(Reporting by Tina Bellon; Editing by James Dalgleish)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump Seeks to Take Back Funds From California Rail Project
Trump Seeks to Take Back Funds From California Rail Project

In addition, the U.S. Transportation Department said it was exploring legal options to recoup $2.5 billion in federal funds already granted to the project by the Federal Railroad Administration, according to a DOT statement. Initially conceived as connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles with a high-speed

Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall
Trump criticizes California over lawsuit against border wall

President Donald Trump is criticizing California's lead role in a multistate lawsuit challenging his emergency declaration to pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall. On Twitter Tuesday, Trump noted last week's ...

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds
  • US
  • 2019-02-19 03:51:07Z

A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise. Trump's order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

School board in Virginia may end transgender bathroom ban
School board in Virginia may end transgender bathroom ban

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - For nearly four years, Gavin Grimm has been suing his former school district after it banned him from using the boys bathrooms in high school.

California 'definitely and imminently' suing over Trump emergency declaration, state AG says
California 'definitely and imminently' suing over Trump emergency declaration, state AG says

"It's clear that this isn't an emergency," Becerra said. "In the mind of Donald Trump he needs to do something to try to fulfill a campaign promise."

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Science

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.