Australia opens way for faster military response to 'terrorist incidents'





SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's military will be more readily deployed to respond to "terrorist incidents" on home soil under proposed changes to laws announced by the government on Monday.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said state and territory police forces would remain as the first response to such incidents, but the military would offer support to enhance their capabilities.

Under the proposed law changes, state and territory governments would be able to call for military help at any time after a "terror incident" has been declared. Previously, the military could only be called upon once police concluded they could no longer deal with an incident.

Turnbull said future attacks would likely remain the responsibility of the police but the military could also assist in incidents such as a central Sydney cafe siege in December 2014 in which two hostages were killed.

A coronial inquiry found in May that police failed to respond quickly enough to end the 16-hour siege, which has been described as Australia's deadliest incident inspired by Islamic State extremists. The gunman, who was killed by police, had no direct ties to the militant group.

"In the current threat environment, it is most likely that a terrorist attack will use simple methodologies, a knife, a gun, a vehicle, and the attack itself could be over in minutes," Turnbull told reporters in Sydney.

"In worse case scenarios, the ADF (Australian Defence Force) has a range of specialist capabilities to resolve complex terrorist incidents, especially protracted sieges or hostage situations," he said.

The Sydney cafe siege and a series of other "lone wolf" attacks have thrown police tactics, and Australia's overall response to potential security incidents, into sharp focus.

Australian police have since changed tactics to become ready to end cases of potential hostage-taking more quickly, and to shoot suspects in "terrorist-related" incidents.

In June, police also began installing concrete bollards in pedestrian thoroughfares in Australia's two largest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, to guard against possible vehicle attacks such as those seen recently in Europe and the United States.

"The key thing we need is the most flexible possible arrangements - the threat's changed very significantly," Justice Minister Michael Keenan told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

Australia is a staunch U.S. ally and has sent troops to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq. It has also been on heightened alert for attacks by home-grown militants returning from fighting in the Middle East.

(Reporting by Jamie Freed and Colin Packham; Editing by Sandra Maler and Paul Tait)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Fifties for Vince, Stoneman as England defy pace attack in first Ashes Test
Fifties for Vince, Stoneman as England defy pace attack in first Ashes Test
  • World
  • 2017-11-23 06:30:16Z

James Vince and Mark Stoneman scored half-centuries as England blunted Australia's vaunted pace attack on an unresponsive Gabba pitch in the first Ashes Test on Thursday. The pair had few problems mastering Australia's fast bowling trio as they recovered the tourists' innings after the early

The U.S. Military Is Preparing for War in Space: We're Drafting Laws to Be Ready for It
The U.S. Military Is Preparing for War in Space: We're Drafting Laws to Be Ready for It

A war in outer space sounds like the stuff of science fiction but it is something we need to consider. Its impact on everybody on Earth and its implications for future human space exploration would be devastating. The aim is to develop a Manual on International Law Applicable to Military uses of Outer Space (MILAMOS) that covers times of tension and outright hostility.

South Korea, Japan welcome U.S. relisting North Korea as sponsor of terrorism
South Korea, Japan welcome U.S. relisting North Korea as sponsor of terrorism

By Christine Kim SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea and Japan on Tuesday welcomed U.S. President Donald Trump's move to put North Korea back on a list of state sponsors of terrorism, saying it will ramp up pressure on the reclusive regime to get rid of its nuclear weapons. The designation, announced on Monday, allows the United States to impose more sanctions on North Korea, which is pursuing nuclear weapons and missile programs in defiance of U.N. Security Council sanctions.

Trump declares North Korea state sponsor of terrorism, triggers sanctions
Trump declares North Korea state sponsor of terrorism, triggers sanctions
  • World
  • 2017-11-20 18:37:34Z

By Jeff Mason WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Monday declared North Korea a state sponsor of terrorism, a designation that allows the United States to impose additional sanctions and risks inflaming tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and missile programs. The Republican president

President Trump Declares North Korea a State Sponsor of Terror
President Trump Declares North Korea a State Sponsor of Terror

Trump said the designation as a state sponsor of terror was long overdue, and he promised a new wave of sanctions as part of a "maximum pressure campaign" over North Korea's development of nuclear weapons that could soon pose a direct threat to the U.S. mainland. North Korea will join Iran, Sudan and Syria on the blacklist. The North had been designated for two decades until 2008 when it was removed in a bid to salvage international talks aimed at halting its nuclear efforts.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.