AT&T sinks after court approves its $85 billion bid for Time Warner (T, TWX)




 

Markets Insider


Shares of AT&T sank about 2% in after-hours trading Tuesday immediately following a judge's ruling that the telecom giant could proceed with its $85.4 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable.

The deal is widely considered to be a harbinger of future media mergers that could radically shift how Americans consume television and movies going forward. Most notably, Disney's ongoing offer to buy 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion, which Comcast is expected to compete against.

The Department of Justice, as well as President Donald Trump, had originally opposed the merger. The deal could "greatly harm American consumers" through "higher monthly bills and fewer of the new, emerging innovative options that consumers are beginning to enjoy," Makan Delrahim, head of the Justice Department's antitrust division, said when announcing the suit last year.

AT&T rebuffed those claims made by the Justice Department and Trump, saying similar mergers are "routinely approved because they benefit consumers without removing any competitor from the market."

The merger is considered "vertical" because it would combine Time Warner, which makes programming, with AT&T, a distributor of that content, which would then have access to more Time Warner brands like HBO, TNT, TBS, and CNN.

NOW WATCH: A Navy SEAL explains why you should get up at 4:30 am every day

See Also:

SEE ALSO: A judge just approved the $85 billion merger between AT&T and Time Warner - and it will affect the future of media M&A for decades to come

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump warnings grow from forgotten Republicans
Trump warnings grow from forgotten Republicans

The ranks of forgotten Republicans are growing. Some were forced out, such as Tim Pawlenty, a former two-term Minnesota governor who lost this week's bid for a political comeback. Some, such as the retiring Republican Sen. Bob Corker, chose to leave on their own.

AP source: It
AP source: It's not just audio, Manigault Newman has video

Omarosa Manigault Newman has made it clear that she plans to continue selectively releasing pieces of evidence to back up her claims if President Trump continues to attack her.

Pentagon delays Trump
Pentagon delays Trump's military parade until at least 2019

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Defense Department said Thursday that the Veterans Day military parade ordered up by President Donald Trump won't happen in 2018.

Bin Laden raid commander to Trump: revoke my security clearance too
Bin Laden raid commander to Trump: revoke my security clearance too

William McRaven, commander of the US Navy SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden, condemned President Donald Trump on Thursday for revoking the security clearance of former CIA chief John Brennan and asked that his be withdrawn as well. "Few Americans have done more to protect this country than

US newspapers to Trump: We
US newspapers to Trump: We're not enemies of the people

Newspapers from Maine to Hawaii pushed back against President Donald Trump's attacks on "fake news" Thursday with a coordinated series of editorials speaking up for a free and vigorous press - and, not surprisingly, Trump didn't take it silently. The Portland (Maine) Press-Herald said

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Economy

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.