At least two dead in shooting inside suburban Denver Walmart




  • In US
  • 2017-11-02 02:43:18Z
  • By By Keith Coffman

By Keith Coffman

THORNTON, Colo. (Reuters) - At least two people were killed and one wounded in a shooting inside a Walmart store in suburban Denver on Wednesday, police said.

Police in Thornton, Colorado, did not immediately release any information about the circumstances of the shooting or who was responsible for the gunfire.

In a Twitter post about 90 minutes after the shooting, police said investigators had confirmed that two men were dead and a woman was taken to a local hospital, but no further details were given.

The situation appeared potentially ominous from authorities' initial reports.

"We've got multiple parties down, we're still trying to ascertain what their conditions are," Officer Victor Avila of the Thornton Police Department told Reuters by telephone not long after police arrived on the scene.

About an hour after the initial alert, police said on Twitter that the threat of gunfire had ended at the store, which was surrounded by police and fire crews.

"At this time this is NOT an active shooter. Active crime scene. We will update as info becomes available," the police department said in that tweet. Confirmation of the two fatalities came about 20 minutes later.

Thornton is city of about 120,000 people roughly 10 miles (16 km) northeast of downtown Denver.

Avila said police were called to the store at about 6:30 p.m. Mountain time (8:30 p.m. ET) and that the gunshots had ceased by the time the first officers arrived at the scene.

A Walmart customer, Aaron Stephens, 44, of Thorton, told Reuters he was inside paying for groceries at a self-checkout stand when he heard gunshots and the sound of ricocheting bullets.

"The employees started screaming and the customers started screaming" as people began to flee the store, he recounted. "I ran out, too, because I didn't want to get shot."

Stephens said he did not see where the shooting had come from and did not see anyone struck by bullets.

Local NBC television affiliate 9NEWS reported that a woman whose son was in the Walmart had told her that he had heard about 30 gunshots and was still inside.

A video posted on Twitter showed the Walmart, which is situated in a large complex of big-box stores and other retail outlets adjacent to U.S. Interstate 25, apparently empty except for police officers with guns drawn.

(Reporting by Keith Coffman in Thornton and Dan Whitcomb and Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Writing by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Sandra Maler and Michael Perry)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Tech sector loses champion in death of San Francisco mayor
Tech sector loses champion in death of San Francisco mayor
  • US
  • 2017-12-13 11:07:49Z

San Francisco technology companies including Twitter, Salesforce.com, Uber and Airbnb lost an important ally on Tuesday with the sudden death of Mayor Ed Lee. Lee, 65, a former tenants' rights lawyer and San Francisco's first Chinese American mayor, died with more than two years left in his term. As a champion of the tech industry, Lee arranged a major tax break for companies that moved into the impoverished Mid-Market neighborhood, a measure designed in part to keep Twitter in the city.

Kremlin: We see Trump
Kremlin: We see Trump's tweets as official statements
  • World
  • 2017-12-12 11:17:25Z

Tweets by U.S. President Donald Trump are viewed in Moscow as his official position and read by his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the Kremlin said on Tuesday. A prolific user of Twitter before he was elected late last year, Trump has continued to use the social media platform to voice his views

Trump slammed for throwing insults at the media in the wake of attempted terror attack in NYC
Trump slammed for throwing insults at the media in the wake of attempted terror attack in NYC

President Donald Trump is receiving backlash for attacking the "failing" New York Times shortly after being briefed on an attempted terror attack in New York City Monday. ".@POTUS has been briefed on the explosion in New York City," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced on Twitter at 8:13 a.m.

Ex-contractor says he shut Trump
Ex-contractor says he shut Trump's Twitter account by accident
  • US
  • 2017-12-11 15:49:16Z

By Douglas Busvine FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The contractor who shut down Donald Trump's Twitter account has told Reuters he did so by mistake, but says he believes some of the U.S. president's recent tweets breach the social network's ban on hate speech. Bahtiyar Duysak, 28, said he clicked

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.