As suicides rise, young survivors make case for hope in film

• In Health
  • 2021-02-13 15:18:35Z
  • By Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Each and Every Day" represents studies in courage, both in life and in the MTV documentary about young people and suicide.

In frank and revelatory conversations, nine survivors recount what took them to the brink and how they fought, and continue to fight, to keep claim on themselves and their right to live.

With suicides by young people already on the rise in recent years and the relentless pandemic piling on pressure, a film giving voice to those who attempted or considered suicide takes on more urgency. It airs commercial-free at 9 p.m. EST Tuesday on MTV.

One young person, a college student named Hannah, didn't hesitate when she was invited to be part of the project from director Alexandra Shiva and executive producer Sheila Nevins. (The last names of the participants were omitted from the documentary.)

"It was an immediate 'yes,'" Hannah said in an interview. "I need to do this, I need to take this opportunity to tell my story. Hopefully, kids and people out there who watch will listen to my story. Hopefully, they see that I overcame so many obstacles and they can, too."

She emphasized what others in the film say: It's critical to realize you can't go it alone.

"I was struggling really badly and I didn't reach out for help, and not reaching out for help almost killed me," said Hannah. "I really want them to see what not to do."

Family and friends also have a crucial role, Shiva said.

"If you think someone is thinking about suicide, ask them. Talking about it isn't going to put someone more at risk," she said.

According to a September 2020 report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the suicide rate nationally among people age 10 to 24 increased 57.4% from 2007 to 2018, from 6.8 per 100,000 in 2007 to 10.7 in 2018. By comparison, the report said, the rate had been statistically stable from 2000 to 2007.

The pandemic appears to be further undermining mental health in America, with young adults aged 18 to 24 among the groups most prone to thoughts of suicide, according to a survey released last August by the CDC.

"Each and Every Day" doesn't dwell on statistics or experts, instead giving the floor to the participants and their individual stories. There's also a group Zoom discussion that lets the young adults connect with each other and, indirectly, viewers.

With quiet, undramatic honesty, they talk about how long they've battled depression - many since middle school - and what it took for them to realize they couldn't survive without support. For those of color, skeptical community attitudes about mental health treatment and the pressure of expectations are cited as further burdens.

"I grew up with this idea of always having to be perfect, always having to portray Black excellence," Hannah said.

Latino and Indian American participants said they've dealt with the prejudice that psychological issues are shameful, while LGBTQ participants share their own burdens. Others in the film prove that no one is exempt, including those who come from happy homes or affluence or avoid facing ethnic or other bias.

The filmmakers wanted to ensure "we had enough of a variety of experience so that if someone turns on MTV, they don't feel like they're not being represented. They can actually see themselves in someone," Shiva said. The film also will be available on mtv.com and the MTV app, and later on Pluto TV.

An effort also was made to include the widely different therapies, some including medication and others not, that participants had found valuable.

The Jed Foundation, which aims to foster emotional health and prevent suicide among teens and young adults, was a partner with MTV Documentary Films on the project and was among the groups that helped Shiva and producer Lindsey Megrue find participants.

The foundation's Donna Satow said she admires the brave candor of those in "Each and Every Day," and believes they will carry weight with peers who see the film. She and her husband, Phil, created the foundation after losing their youngest son, Jed, to suicide in 1998.

"So many young people suffer in silence. They really do not want to speak up about these feelings," Donna Satow said. "So when they see their own age group speak up and speak up in a language they actually speak and understand, it is powerful and it really moves the conversation to the next step."

COMMENTS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Comments

• 먹튀검증사이트
    (2021-03-07 07:28:08Z)

Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking.

• 먹튀검증
    (2021-03-11 08:26:04Z)

You have made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for more information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this web site.

• safestore auto
    (2021-03-14 08:18:33Z)

I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats!

• 꽁머니 1만
    (2021-03-17 12:04:47Z)

Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet!

• best moving company
    (2021-03-20 10:38:29Z)

Simple Moving Company established to provide stress free moving services. We are fully licensed and insured full service local and long distance moving company. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service, fast deliveries and successful relocation to all our customers. We know moving isn’t easy and a very stressful event and we make sure that you will have a SIMPLE move. To arrange movers, please contact us at your convenience. We look forward to meeting you soon. HEADQUARTER ADDRESS 1919 VINEBURN AVE, STE 04, LOS ANGELES, 90034

• Pool Renovation New Hampshire
    (2021-03-21 10:47:46Z)

Affordable Pool Remodeling New Hampshire, Boston, All MA | Pool Plastering and Resurfacing

• onewalmart login
    (2021-03-24 10:28:47Z)

I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

• Cash Contact Number
    (2021-03-25 08:20:26Z)

Cash App Help made simple for everyone who wants to speak to a member of the cash app customer service team on phone. Get a reliable cashapphelp number now.

• If you don"t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries.

• travertine pool coping
    (2021-03-25 12:07:52Z)

Affordable Pools, Quality Pool Remodeling, New Pool Construction, Serving the Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, and All New England.

• Onewheel Accessories
    (2021-03-27 07:25:23Z)

Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. I am moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards

• cheapest PCB service
    (2021-03-27 10:17:12Z)

I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

• Ottawa Rims
    (2021-04-01 10:47:36Z)

Our credit repair services work to fix past credit mistakes and verify credit report accuracy. Talk to a credit repair expert today!

• Onewheel Accessories
    (2021-04-04 06:23:28Z)

I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy!

• I truly welcome this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be valuable for the vast majority of the general population.

• نكهات القهوة
    (2021-04-13 07:03:54Z)

We provide you with Monin products from Syrup, coffee sauce and many other products through the Arzaq app.Free delivery of your first order, download it to your mobile phone, by scanning the QR code in the image with your mobile phone's camera.

• Federal Bank FASTag
    (2021-05-04 06:48:37Z)

Federal bank Fastag, how to apply, Federal bank Fastag Quick Buy, the details of bank Fastag Login And Recharge online and customer support

• eye doctor Coweta
    (2021-05-12 09:38:47Z)

Just pure classic stuff from you here. I have never seen such a brilliantly written article in a long time. I am thankful to you that you produced this!

• natural healthy recipes
    (2021-06-22 12:32:24Z)

Please vist this site to get information about natural healthy recipes, health, wellness, environment, circular economy. I tried to create something different than putting hundreds of recipes into a pot. Each recipe has a few things going for it, I try to give scientific, nutritional and more information. Because I believe that sustainability and circular economy starts and ends from what we eat, and what we eat is infinitely important for our health.

• buy traditional rugs
    (2021-06-24 09:15:56Z)

Get 10% Off on Your first Order. Explore our range of Traditional Rugs, from traditional Persian detailing to traditional Middle Eastern gems We have a traditional rug and floor covering for every type of home Why settle for anything less Explore our affordable traditional rugs online. Please visit out website for more exploring our highert quality cheap buy traditional rugs ​in UK.

• Europa Road kft
    (2021-07-26 14:28:54Z)

You delivered such an impressive piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared.

Top News: Health