Armed 'mob' allegedly tried to enter black family's North Carolina home, white deputy charged




  • In US
  • 2020-05-10 15:27:01Z
  • By NBC News
 

A sheriff's deputy in North Carolina is facing criminal charges after authorities said he led a group of armed people to the wrong home in a search for a missing girl.

New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David said Friday that Jordan Kita, who worked in the New Hanover Sheriff's Office, led an armed group to the home of Dameon Shepard, a senior at Laney High School in Wilmington, on May 3, according to James W. Lea, a lawyer for Shepard's family who is preparing a civil lawsuit.

Shepard, who is black, says the all-white group tried unsuccessfully to force its way into the family's Pender County home, about 20 miles north of Wilmington.

His mother, Monica Shepard, told the group they should leave, according to Lea.

"Coming to the door like that with a mob of people with guns, what do we expect? What were their intentions?" Monica Shepard told WECT-TV. "What if he was the person they were looking for or what if I was not home? What would've happened? I don't want to have that conversation. I don't want him to be a statistic. It's scary."

Kita was looking for Lekayda Kempisty, a 15-year-old girl who was reported missing earlier that day. She was later found safe.

In its effort to find Lekayda, Kita's group was searching for someone named Josiah who used to live next door.

During the confrontation, Shepard repeatedly tried to point out to the group that they had the wrong house and that a yard sign out front explicitly congratulated "Dameon" on his high school graduation, to no avail, Shepard told news outlets.

There was believed to be some sort of familial relationship between Kita and the Lekayda Kempisty, David said.

Kita will be charged with trespassing, and breaking and entering in addition to willful failure to discharge duties, which is a charge stemming from failure to uphold his duties as being a sworn officer of the sheriff's office.

Authorities said Kita has been fired. It's unclear whether he had an attorney who could comment.

A second man in Kita's group is also facing a criminal charge for "going armed to the terror of the public."

NBC News has reached out to New Hanover County and Pender County Sheriff's Office for more information.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Protesters in some cities target Confederate monuments
Protesters in some cities target Confederate monuments
  • World
  • 2020-05-31 10:46:31Z

Protesters demonstrating against the death of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who pleaded for air as a white police officer pressed his knee on his neck, targeted Confederate monuments in multiple cities. The presence of Confederate monuments across the South - and elsewhere in the United States - has been challenged for years, and some of the monuments targeted were already under consideration for removal. The words "spiritual genocide," along with red handprints, were painted on the sides of a Confederate monument on the University of Mississippi campus Saturday, The Oxford Eagle reported.

Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures
Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures

A spokesperson for North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Trump insists on a "full convention arena with no face coverings and no social distancing."

Vaccine and coronavirus skeptics packed into a hotel for a conference over Memorial Day weekend, defying guidelines
Vaccine and coronavirus skeptics packed into a hotel for a conference over Memorial Day weekend, defying guidelines

200 alternative medicine practitioners and followers attended a conference in a North Carolina hotel over Memorial Day weekend, defying guidelines.

North Carolina Democrats
North Carolina Democrats 'dragging their feet' on convention rules, RNC chief says
  • US
  • 2020-05-29 15:30:50Z

The comments by RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel on a popular North Carolina radio show came a day after her letter to Governor Roy Cooper setting a June 3 deadline to approve safety and logistical measures - such as how many people can gather together - to prevent the spread of the coronavirus during the August convention. Cooper's office responded by asking the RNC to spell out how many people will attend each night and how they will adhere to social distancing and other protocols, such as mask coverings.

2020 Republican convention: RNC sends Gov. Roy Cooper
2020 Republican convention: RNC sends Gov. Roy Cooper 'safety protocols' for Charlotte event

There is no mention of face masks or social distancing in the letter. which are both currently the state's guidelines.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US