'No hint of misconduct' from Brett Kavanaugh, according to confidential FBI report




 

The Senate Judiciary Committee chairman has said there is "no hint of misconduct" by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh in a confidential FBI report.

Donald Trump's choice for America's highest court is facing allegations that he sexually assaulted Prof Christine Blasey Ford at a house party when they were teenagers.

Testifying before the judiciary committee last week, Prof Blasey Ford said one night in the summer of 1982, an inebriated Kavanaugh forced her down on a bed, "groped me and tried to take off my clothes," then clamped his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream before she was able to escape.

She told the panel she thought Mr Kavanaugh was going to accidentally kill her.

Speaking through tears, Mr Kavanaugh furiously denied allegations of sexual assault, accusing Democrats of orchestrating a "grotesque and coordinated character assassination".

He said the claims had put him "through hell, and then some" in the last fortnight, and warned "the whole country will reap the whirlwind" if they are allowed to prevent his nomination during the historic hearing in Washington, DC, which was broadcast live to millions of Americans.

After the session, congressmen examined an FBI report into the alleged sexual abuse, as the US Senate's Republican leadership scheduled the first confirmation vote for Friday.

It appears the conclusion is that Mr Kavanaugh has no case to answer, paving the way for him to be sworn in as a Supreme Court judge.

Kavanaugh has strongly denied Prof Blasey Ford's assertions and those of two other women, who have accused him of other instances of sexual misconduct in the 1980s.

The new investigation into his conduct has come under fire for its limited scope.

"An FBI supplemental background investigation that did not include an interview of Prof Christine Blasey Ford - nor the witnesses who corroborate her testimony - cannot be called an investigation," Ms Ford's lawyers said in a statement on Wednesday night.

"We are profoundly disappointed that after the tremendous sacrifice she made in coming forward, those directing the FBI investigation were not interested in seeking the truth."

The Senate is now braced for a crucial initial vote on Friday on Mr Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination, with a showdown roll call over confirmation set to take place as early as Saturday.

With Republicans clinging to a razor-thin 51-49 majority and five senators - including three Republicans - still wavering, the conservative jurist's prospects of Senate confirmation remained murky and highly dependent on the file's contents, which are supposed to be kept secret.

"There will be plenty of time for members to review and be briefed on the supplemental material" before Friday's vote, Mr McConnell said to the nearly empty chamber.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pelosi cancels Afghanistan trip, cites Trump
Pelosi cancels Afghanistan trip, cites Trump 'leak'

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday canceled her plans to travel by commercial plane to visit U.S. troops in Afghanistan, saying President Donald Trump had caused a security risk by talking about the trip.

The Latest: Giuliani aims to clarify collusion comments
The Latest: Giuliani aims to clarify collusion comments

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on the special counsel's Russia investigation (all times local):

Trump postpones Pelosi
Trump postpones Pelosi's trip 'due to shutdown' after she called for State of the Union delay

In the increasingly personal standoff between President Donald Trump and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the president on Thursday said he was postponing her use of a military plane for an official trip to Belgium, and Afghanistan in apparent retaliation for Pelosi asking Trump to delay his State of the

The Latest: Schiff berates Trump for disclosing warzone trip
The Latest: Schiff berates Trump for disclosing warzone trip

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on the partial government shutdown (all times local):

Watchdog: Thousands more children may have been separated
Watchdog: Thousands more children may have been separated

WASHINGTON (AP) - Thousands more migrant children may have been split from their families than the Trump administration previously reported, in part because officials were stepping up family separations long before the border policy that prompted international outrage last spring, a government watchdog said Thursday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.