Another man is arrested in probe of Giuliani associates




  • In US
  • 2019-10-16 17:26:30Z
  • By Politico
 

NEW YORK - A Florida man wanted in a campaign finance case involving associates of Rudy Giuliani is in federal custody after flying Wednesday to Kennedy Airport in New York City to turn himself in, federal authorities said.

David Correia, 44, was named in an indictment with two Giuliani associates and another man arrested last week on charges they made illegal contributions to politicians and a political action committee supporting President Donald Trump. Giuliani, a former New York City mayor, is Trump's personal lawyer.

All the other defendants in the case were already in custody.

Prosecutors said Correia, who owns a home with his wife in West Palm Beach, was part of efforts by co-defendants Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman to leverage outsized political donations to Republican candidates and committees as part of an effort to advance their business interests.

Both Parnas and Fruman have a history of business dealings with Giuliani. Prosecutors said that, among other things, the pair made campaign contributions with the intent of lobbying U.S. politicians to oust the country's ambassador to Ukraine. At the time, Giuliani was trying to get Ukrainian officials to investigate the son of Trump's potential Democratic challenger, Joe Biden.

Correia is accused of conspired with the other defendants, including Ukrainian-born U.S. citizen Andrey Kukushkin, to make political donations to local and federal politicians in New York, Nevada and other states with the aim of trying to get support for a new recreational marijuana business.

All four defendants were expected to appear Thursday in federal court in Manhattan.

A lawyer for Correia is not yet listed in court records.

Giuliani has said he had no knowledge of illegal donations and hadn't seen any evidence that Parnas and Fruman did anything wrong.

Correia is listed as the registered agent for a Florida corporation tied to a series of wire transfers prosecutors allege was part of an elaborate effort to hide the true source of funds used to make the donations.

He posed with then-Rep. Pete Sessions in a 2018 photo taken inside the Texas Republican's Capitol Hill office that Parnas posted on social media with the caption "Hard at work !!"

The Associated Press reported last week that Sessions fits the description in the indictment of a congressman who prosecutors allege was part of a coordinated effort to remove the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump Campaign Looks at Electoral Map and Doesn
Trump Campaign Looks at Electoral Map and Doesn't Like What It Sees

President Donald Trump is facing the bleakest outlook for his reelection bid so far, with his polling numbers plunging in both public and private surveys and his campaign beginning to worry about his standing in states like Ohio and Iowa that he carried by wide margins four years ago.The Trump campaign has recently undertaken a multimillion-dollar advertising effort in those two states as well as in Arizona in hopes of improving his standing while also shaking up his political operation and turning new attention to states like Georgia that were once considered reliably Republican. In private, Trump has expressed concern that his campaign is not battle-ready for the general election, while...

Trump says he went to White House bunker for
Trump says he went to White House bunker for 'inspection,' not because of protests

President Donald Trump denied reports that he was escorted to an underground bunker at White House because of security concerns amid violent protest.

Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters
Esper Says He Opposes Using Insurrection Act on Protesters

Under intense criticism for seeming to give President Trump's violent response to institutional police racism the imprimatur of the military, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he opposes using the active-duty military-even as an infantry battalion arrived outside Washington, D.C.The use of active-duty

Former Commanders Fault Trump
Former Commanders Fault Trump's Use of Troops Against Protesters

WASHINGTON -- Retired senior military leaders condemned their successors in the Trump administration for ordering military units Monday to rout those peacefully protesting police violence near the White House.As military helicopters flew low over the nation's capital and National Guard units moved

'No way I was staying home': Trump's response leads more protesters to White House

A crowd of demonstrators gathered outside the White House one day after federal law enforcement officers forcefully cleared the area to allow the president to visit a church.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US