Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Conservative Commentator: 'I Don't Owe' You A Response




 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shot back at a conservative commentator on Twitter Thursday, comparing his invitation to debate him with a solicitation from a catcaller on the street.

"I don't owe a response to unsolicited requests from men with bad intentions," Ocasio-Cortez, the Democratic candidate for Congress in New York's 14th District, wrote. "And also like catcalling, for some reason they feel entitled to one."

Her comments came after Ben Shapiro, a conservative commentator, challenged Ocasio-Cortez to a debate and offered her campaign $10,000 if she participated. Shapiro, called a "provocative gladiator" by The New York Times, has embraced deeply conservative views and built his image as a millennial firebrand.

"Miss Ocasio-Cortez, I'm really excited that you've been elevated to that position and I would love to have a real conversation with you about the issues," Shapiro said in a video invitation on Twitter. "You've noted that you think Republicans are afraid to debate you or talk to you or discuss the issues with you. Not only am I eager to discuss the issues with you, I'm willing to offer $10,000 to your campaign today for you to come on our Sunday special."

Shapiro fired back at Ocasio-Cortez following her tweet on Thursday, saying "slandering someone as a sexist catcaller without reason or evidence does demonstrate cowardice and bad intent."

"I'm sure your media sycophants will eat it up," he concluded.

Ocasio-Cortez, 28, won a stunning victory over 10-term incumbent Rep. Joe Crowley in the Democratic primary in June. She's campaigned on several major progressive promises, including "Medicare for all" and the abolishment of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

COMMENTS

More Related News

OJ Simpson on Twitter:
OJ Simpson on Twitter: 'I got a little gettin' even to do'

Simpson has generally kept a low profile since his release from prison in October 2017 for robbery and kidnapping over an attempt to steal back some of his sports memorabilia from a Las Vegas hotel room. The 71-year-old recently told the AP he was happy and healthy living in Las Vegas 25 years after the killings of his ex-wife and her friend. Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were stabbed to death on the night of June 12, 1994.

Coinbase Custody Holds $1.3B in Assets Under Custody, Expects to Hit $2B
Coinbase Custody Holds $1.3B in Assets Under Custody, Expects to Hit $2B 'Soon'

Coinbase Custody revealed that it holds $1.3 billion in assets under custody (AUC) and the firm expects to hit $2 billion AUC soon in a Twitter thread published on June 13. In a series of tweets, what is evidently the official Coinbase Custody Twitter account reported that last week the company's CEO, Sam McIngvale, and its chief information security officer, Philip Martin, visited the United Kingdom. During the meeting, the firm's representatives argued that, while many believe that there are no institutional-grade offerings in the cryptocurrency space, Coinbase Custody is in fact such an offering.

EU says
EU says 'Russian sources' tried to undermine European vote

EU officials said Friday that "Russian sources" stepped up a long-running disinformation campaign against the European Union in a bid to undermine the bloc's elections last month. The sources used fake social media accounts, bots and news sites to amplify existing divisive content by targeting particular groups of voters and countries, Security Commissioner Julian King said. "The number of disinformation cases attributed to Russian sources ... doubled as compared to the same period a year ago," King said, highlighting a report by European Commission investigators.

From 'terrific job' to 'good riddance,' Sarah Sanders' White House exit stirs emotions on Twitter
From 'terrific job' to 'good riddance,' Sarah Sanders' White House exit stirs emotions on Twitter

The reactions to Sarah Sanders' departure from the White House ranged on Twitter from respect to someone who hoped she stepped on Legos.

Unhappy at Twitter, thousands of Saudis crash pro-Trump social network
Unhappy at Twitter, thousands of Saudis crash pro-Trump social network
  • US
  • 2019-06-13 20:36:17Z

A surge of about 200,000 users believed to be from Saudi Arabia who are frustrated at what they say is censorship by Twitter have helped crash the small social media network Parler, which styles itself as a "free speech-driven" space. The unexpected arrival of the new accounts since Sunday more than doubled the total number of Parler users and crippled some functions, CEO and co-founder John Matze told Reuters. The influx of users has created unusual bedfellows on Parler, which has mostly been a home for supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump after starting up a year ago.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Latin America

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.