Accuser of U.S. high-court nominee Kavanaugh goes public: Washington Post




  • In US
  • 2018-09-16 19:56:32Z
  • By By Richard Cowan
FILE PHOTO: U.
FILE PHOTO: U.  

By Richard Cowan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A woman who had anonymously accused U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct in the early 1980s decided to go public with her accusations and provided details of the alleged incident, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

In an interview with the newspaper, Christine Blasey Ford said that as a high school student in suburban Maryland just outside of Washington, a "stumbling drunk" Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her and attempted to remove her clothing.

Last week, Kavanaugh said he "categorically and unequivocally" denies the allegations. The White House on Sunday did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

A spokesman for Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, responding to the latest developments in the Kavanaugh nomination, said, "It's disturbing that these uncorroborated allegations from more than 35 years ago, during high school, would surface on the eve of a committee vote."

Pressure on Republicans to delay Kavanaugh's confirmation mounted, but it is unclear whether Ford's decision to go public would hold up a Senate vote to confirm Kavanaugh.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said the Senate Judiciary Committee "must postpone the vote until, at a very minimum, these serious and credible allegations are thoroughly investigated."

Democratic Senator Diane Feinstein, the top Judiciary Committee Democrat, issued a statement on Sunday calling for a delay.

"I support Mrs. Ford's decision to share her story and now that she has, it is in the hands of the FBI to conduct an investigation. This should happen before the Senate moves forward on this nominee," Feinstein said.

In The Washington Post interview, Ford said that when she tried to scream, Kavanaugh put his hand over her mouth. "I thought he might inadvertently kill me," Ford told the newspaper, adding, "He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said that he would like to have Kavanaugh confirmed by Oct. 1, the start of the Supreme Court's new term. His office did not immediately respond on Sunday to a request for comment.

That timetable would have Kavanaugh sitting on the Supreme Court - if he is confirmed - before the Nov. 6 elections in which one-third of the 100 Senate seats are up for grabs.

Ford, now a 51-year-old research psychologist in California, told the Washington Post that in July she sent a letter to Democratic Representative Anna Eshoo about the incident but requested confidentiality at the time.

The existence of the letter and some details of its contents became public in recent days, however.

Ford did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment.

The Senate Judiciary Committee has completed its hearings on Kavanaugh and planned to vote this week on his nomination by President Donald Trump to the highest court. A positive vote would set up a debate by the full Senate.

(Reporting By Richard Cowan and Joel Schectman; Editing by Mary Milliken and Nick Zieminski)

COMMENTS

More Related News

Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro
Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro's ex-spy chief reveals new details of plot topple him

The former spy chief to embattled Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro has revealed new details of the plot to oust him including code names, secret meetings and a back channel to the Americans.  Gen. Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera, who fled the country after the plot collapsed in May, laid bare the full scale of the plan during an interview with The Washington Post.  Mr Figuera was head of the Venezuelan intelligence police force SEBIN but became disillusioned with Mr Maduro's leadership as the country spiraled into economic and political chaos this year.  The decision by Juan Guaido, an opposition politician and leader of the National Assembly, to declare himself interim president in...

China criticizes possible US penalties against banks
China criticizes possible US penalties against banks

China on Tuesday criticized Washington's efforts to enforce U.S. law abroad following a news report three Chinese banks might be penalized over dealings with North Korea. The banks named by The Washington Post as facing possible loss of access to the U.S. financial system denied they were under investigation. The Post said a court found three Chinese banks in contempt for ignoring demands for information about possible violations of sanctions imposed over North Korea's nuclear program.

Iran says U.S. cyber attacks failed, hints talks are possible
Iran says U.S. cyber attacks failed, hints talks are possible
  • US
  • 2019-06-24 10:13:19Z

Iran said on Monday U.S. cyber attacks on its military had been a failure, while also hinting that it could be willing to discuss new concessions with Washington if the United States were to lift sanctions and offer new incentives. After Iran shot down a U.S. drone last week, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had called off a retaliatory strike while bombers were in the air, deciding that too many people would die.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.