A US attack could be imminent after Iranians shoot down drone over international waters




  • In Business
  • 2019-06-20 19:28:59Z
  • By USA TODAY
 

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has called Iran's shooting down of a drone over international waters near the Persian Gulf a "dangerous and escalatory attack," and President Donald Trump called it a "very big mistake" suggesting a retaliatory U.S. strike is imminent.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan huddled Thursday with national security officials at the White House to discuss military options, including an attack on the site that launched the missile that destroyed the unmanned surveillance aircraft, according to a Defense official familiar with the discussions but not authorized to speak about them publicly.

And the White House summoned leaders in Congress for a late-afternoon briefing on Iran.

"I sense that a limited, targeted reprisal strike is likely - but with the emphasis on 'limited,'" said Michael O'Hanlon, a military analyst at the Brookings Institution. "Then Iran will decide what it wants to do next. Not a huge risk of escalation. But still a non-zero risk."

Iran shoots down U.S. drone: Donald Trump plays down Iran attack on US drone as a 'big mistake' by someone 'stupid'

Trump responds: 'You'll soon find out' if US retaliates after Iran shoots down drone, Trump warns

In the last two years, U.S. and allied forces have mounted limited airstrikes in Syria that could offer a guide to an attack on Iran. In April 2018, American, British and French forces fired 105 missiles on three Syrian chemical weapons facilities a week after the regime of Bashar al Assad had lauched a brutal attack had killed 40 civilians. A year earlier, Tomahawk cruise missiles struck an airfield in Syria where Pentagon officials said a chemical attack had originated.

In recent weeks, the Pentagon has shifted an aircraft carrier strike group, B-52 bombers and thousands of troops to the region to confront Iran and protect American forces in the region. The bombers offer the option of launching long-range cruise missiles far from Iran's air defenses.

The Navy RQ-4 was flying in international airspace over waters where two tankers were attacked in recent weeks when it was blasted by a surface-to-air missile fired from a battery near Goruk, Iran, according to Air Force Lt. Gen. Joseph Guastella, commander of Air Force assets in the Middle East. Iran has denied attacking the tankers, and said Thursday that the drone had violated its airspace.

"This dangerous and escalatory attack was irresponsible and occurred in the vicinity of established air corridors between Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Muscat Oman, possibly endangering innocent civilians," Guastella said.

Iran v. U.S.: What Iran and the United States are saying about the shooting down of the U.S. drone

The tensions: Escalating Iran crisis looks a lot like the path US took to Iraq war

Experts had predicted Iran would continue acting out before the drone strike and that the crisis could sprial. Earlier this week, Philip Gordon, a negotiator on the deal to keep Iran from developing a nuclear weapons, said there were "not a lot of good options and a significant risk of escalation."

Gordon, who was White House coordinator for the Middle East, North Africa and the Gulf Region under President Obama from 2013 to 2015, pointed to the Trump administration declaring Iran's Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization in April, and then imposing sanctions on other countries buying Iranian oil, which "severely punished the Iranian economy."

"I think that's what brought us to the crisis that we're in now," Gordon, now senior fellow in U.S. foreign policy at the Council on Foreign Relations, said he believes Iran is responsible for the recent sabotaging of ships and explosions in the Gulf, and he noted the regime "ominously" has vowed to restart its nuclear program. He said he didn't see many off-ramps from imminent military conflict.

"There was… the notion that by squeezing the Iranians so hard the people would rise up and push the regime aside," Gordon said. "That doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon."

Gil Barndollar, a former Marine and senior fellow at non-interventionist-leaning think tank Defense Priorities, said Thursday that "it would be hard to bet against" United States taking military action, even in a limited way, in response to the drone strike. But he hopes the Trump administration uses the incident as "an opportunity" to restart diplomatic efforts.

"I would hope we use this opportunity to steer back toward negotiations and look at re-orienting things with Iran on a live-and-let-live basis," said Barndollar, who is also the director of Mideast studies at the Center for the National Interest.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: A US attack could be imminent after Iranians shoot down drone over international waters

COMMENTS

More Related News

Trump vows to revive
Trump vows to revive 'Pocahontas' attack against Warren

Warren has largely rebounded from the controversy of her heritage claims, but Trump vows to pounce anew.

A former Republican congressman just apologized for helping put
A former Republican congressman just apologized for helping put 'an unfit con man in the White House'

Former GOP congressman Joe Walsh also called for a Republican primary challenger to take on President Donald Trump in 2020.

Trump urged Israel to ban
Trump urged Israel to ban 'Squad' members Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entering the country

Trump tweeted that it would "show great weakness if Israel allowed Rep. Omar and Rep. Tlaib to visit."

China Signals U.S. Tariff Delay Not Enough to Stop Retaliation
China Signals U.S. Tariff Delay Not Enough to Stop Retaliation
  • World
  • 2019-08-15 14:00:19Z

(Bloomberg) -- Terms of Trade is a daily newsletter that untangles a world embroiled in trade wars. Sign up here. China called planned U.S. tariffs on an additional $300 billion in Chinese goods a violation of accords reached by Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping, signaling an American move earlier this week to delay some of those levies was not enough to stave off retaliation.The new 10% tariffs have taken the U.S. and China off the track of resolving their dispute through negotiation, the State Council Tariff Committee, which has overseen tit-for-tat retaliation, said in a short statement on Thursday. China "has no choice but to take necessary measures to retaliate," it said,...

Israel bars U.S. Democratic lawmakers Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib under pressure from Trump
Israel bars U.S. Democratic lawmakers Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib under pressure from Trump

JERUSALEM/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday barred U.S. Democratic congresswomen Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar from making a planned trip to Israel, shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump called on his ally not to let them in. Tlaib and Omar, the first two Muslim women elected to Congress, are members of their party's progressive wing and sharp critics both of Trump and of Israel's policy toward the Palestinians.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: Business

facebook
Hit "Like"
Don't miss any important news
Thanks, you don't need to show me this anymore.