1 dead, 3 missing after hotel collapse in New Orleans




  • In US
  • 2019-10-12 17:55:29Z
  • By Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A Hard Rock Hotel under construction at the edge of New Orleans' historic French Quarter collapsed Saturday morning, leaving at least one person dead and three unaccounted for, authorities said.

City officials and Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards confirmed the death.

The building was under construction at the corner of Rampart Street and Canal Street, a broad boulevard just outside the Quarter, lined with restaurants hotels and retailers. Canal, which carries six lanes of traffic divided by a wide median where streetcars roll, separates the Quarter from the city's main business district.

WWL-TV aired and tweeted a viewer's dramatic video of the collapse, showing upper floors falling on top of each other before one side of the building toppled to the ground.

Another video on social media was taken by someone aboard one of the city's famous streetcars as it approached the site while the building was collapsing. It showed what looked like a metal structure - part of the building or a piece of construction equipment - tumbling to the ground and people running from the scene as clouds of dust billowed up and around the streetcar, obscuring the view like a thick fog.

Authorities say 18 people were taken to a hospital for treatment. All were considered stable.

Edwards urged people to stay away from the area, which was still considered unstable. An unsupported crane listed away from the building site. As dust settled following the morning collapse, twisted metal, concrete pilings and other wreckage covered part of Rampart Street.

"It was a deep rumbling sound," Matt Worges, who saw the collapse from a nearby building, told The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate. "Like an airplane maybe. It drew my head immediately."

COMMENTS

More Related News

Pence heads to Louisiana amid renewed surge in virus cases
Pence heads to Louisiana amid renewed surge in virus cases

Vice President Mike Pence travels Tuesday to Louisiana, which has reemerged as one of the nation's hot spots for the coronavirus only months after seeming to contain its outbreak. The Republican vice president was scheduled to meet with Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, members of the congressional delegation and health officials to discuss Louisiana's response to the COVID-19 disease caused by the coronavirus. Pence's visit comes as Louisiana's confirmed virus cases, percentage of positive tests and COVID-19 patient hospitalization rates surge - worrying public health experts about in a state that previously appeared successful in combating the virus outbreak.

New Orleans
New Orleans' 1st Black subdivision officially historic
  • US
  • 2020-07-12 15:38:54Z

The first subdivision built for middle- and upper-class Black residents of New Orleans - and one of the first in the nation - is now on the National Register of Historic Places. It's great to have national recognition of the neighborhood's historical significance after years of work, Gretchen Bradford, president the Pontchartrain Park Neighborhood Association, said Thursday. Pontchartrain Park opened in 1955.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

Comments

Top News: US